HALion 6 content location???

What is the current status of Halion 6 installation and location including content?

I have been away from Steinberg products for a while due to a major job change and move. Rebuilding my home studio, including my large main DAW computer is still a work in progress and I am engaging in all of my music-making on a Xeon-based mobile workstation for now. I just bought the upgrade from H5 to H6 (sale, yay!) and this will be a clean install of 6. I don’t want to clutter my system drive on the mobile workstation. I have a 1TB SSD for samples etc. My Kontakt (and all Komplete) libraries of importance are there already as are Falcon and favored UVI libraries. NI makes it easy to choose a drive for content installation when Komplete is installed.

Has Steinberg changed its infatuation with forcing installation of libraries on the system drive under user data or am I stuck with installing there and jumping through hoops to move the Halion libraries later? Forcing installation on the system drive is a very archaeic way of doing an install and should absolutely not be required for a modern piece of software. I downloaded everything to my sampe drive but have not tried an install yet.

hi all, glad I found this thread I have Halion 3, Halion 4, Halion 5 content on my D: Drive from upgrading along the path over the years.

Now ive installed Halion 6 (phew!). and its thrown it on my small SSD drive (like everyone else) without asking (grrr)

so heres my questions:

1:/ can I delete all the library files for 3, 4 and 5 finally…ie does Halion 6 have ALL the content/sounds/presets of the earlier ones?

2:/ Has Steinberg changed the vstsound files as they have gone along…or have they simply added more files to the library? ie if I did a file comparison of the different libraries and deleted files with the same name…will they be the same file length? identical data inside?

3:/ on my drive C there is two folders of VST Sound:

c:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound
and
c:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound

none of the filenames are exactly the same…what a mess. why are there 2 folders…?

many thanks!

For what it’s worth this late in the thread…

When I want to install something and the system drive is out of room, I’ll create an ntfs file junction to a new partion/drive before installing the app.

Here is a thread on the process.

Have a look on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB_coW-1hoA