HALion 64 bit only

Hi all,

I would like to point out that HALion 6, HALion Sonic 3 and all of Steinberg’s future releases will only be released as 64 bit versions.

We have already announced this in a official statement a couple of month ago.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/future-releases-as-64-bit-only-3778.html

Very good and reasonable step, 32bit is dead.

Yes… actually for more than a decade now.

I vividly remember getting my first 64 bit capable CPU like… 10 years ago… and being frustrated, like back in the day, when I got my 386, that there is no software that can make use of all that oooomph… :smiley:

only 64bit I´m with you, Steinberg

but why is there prompted that System Requirements is Win8/10?
why no more Win7-Support?

I don´t wanna have Win8/10, because everything (and I mean everything) runs without problems on my Win7!

regards,
The Sarge!

It’s Steinberg policy. We only support the last 2 operating systems on each platform.

Has there been a policy change recently. because all ++three WIN(7.x, 8.0, 8.1, 10) were supported for HALion5, oh… I should say four not ( 3 +.1 ) : https://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=downloads_halion_5&L=1

Actually on the release of HALion 5 only W7 and W8 were supported. 10 was added later on, when Microsoft released it.

BUT! - I asked if there has been a policy change by SB recently to only support “last two OS versions” ?

WIN7 extended EOL is Jan 14 2020 : Lifecycle FAQ - Windows | Microsoft Learn

…And are SB really suggesting that when WIN 8.1 was released, then "officially " SB only supported 8.1 and 8.0 (and yes 8.1 was a totally different OS and kernel compared to 8.0 ) , because I doubt that these two platforms had any real traction, in terms of users running systems on them , but, I ask, “were 8.0 and 8.1 the only two supported” or has policy changed

I recall the announcement to only support 64 bit - and we all welcome this, and this makes a whole lot of sense.
…but not supporting win7 ??? damn, I wish this was revealed a whole lot earlier in the H6 and H5 forums - unless I missed it?

WIN7 is stio

Sad, but consequent. Please keep your word and publish one last 5.x/2.x update afterwards for us 32 bit elephants to make use of for a few more years (final maintenance update). Both have been real work horses for years and won’t stop just because 6/3 are released. Thanks!

Thread topic : is “HALion 64bit only” :

and WIN7-64bit qualifies
and WIN7-64bit is still a valid OS until its end of life = Jan 14 2020 : Lifecycle FAQ - Windows | Microsoft Learn

+AND a valid C9 os platform according to steinberg system requirements: Cubase: Music Production Software - DAW | Steinberg

Are there still people who’s run a 32 bit system?

Yes. On 64 bit CPUs, which is something I can’t comprehend.

I was all set to buy but no Win7 support means no deal at the minute!!

Why wasn’t the extinction of win7 support announced in the same manner as well?

++1 : see also : https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=262&t=112380

Hi Matthias,

How come Cubase 9 is Windows 7 compatible then.

Please see attached capture. :question:
Mike001
Cubas 9.PNG

Bazinga!

:smiley:support … does not imply does not function :laughing:

Steinberg will only respond to issues for the last 2 operating system releases - for the rest you have the world wide web :wink:

BAZINGA :laughing:

Note that Windows 7 is now officially supported: Windows 7 officially supported - HALion - Steinberg Forums

Just a heads up for anyone reading this thread late.