HALion 7 demo causing too many problems on Win 10. How to properly uninstall?

Installation of the HALion 7 demo version has caused multiple audio problems on my DAW for other applications. I want it removed but cannot find any specific instructions for removing nor do I find an uninstall app. I do see Steinburg entries in the Apps section of Windows Settings. Do I just remove it from there?

Thanks in advance.

This is for Halion 6 but Iā€™d anticipate it is the same for 7.

• Find Halion 7 on the Start Menu
  • Right+Click on Halion 7
  • Select Uninstall

Hi @markknecht !
The uninstall app is the same as the install app.
You can find it in the Steinberg Download Assistant Download folder.

Choose the ā€œUninstallā€ option. Make sure to do this for all entries where it says ā€œAlready Installedā€
On the next page, You have to (unintuitively :sweat:) click ā€œInstallā€ to confirm on the next page.

You can also go via the Windows Programs and Features or use @raino suggestion, but this might leave a few files, unmanaged by MSI, on your system.

Would be interesting to know what issues you ran into or if you could fill out the survey (if you havenā€™t already):

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you for your fast replies. I greatly appreciate them. I filled out the survey this morning to at least provide feedback. (Sadly, all 1-star, sad face responsesā€¦)

The problem Iā€™m having is that I come from the Linux world and, as such, the Open Source DAW of choice is Ardour. There is a for pay version from Harrison Consoles called Mixbus 32C which I have used for years. However my recording life is pretty old-school audio tracking and very little MIDI.

I do understand that Ardour/Mixbus are not on the list of supported DAWs at Steinburg.

I recently purchase a new DAW computer which came with Windows 10, but has two M.2 slots so I run Kubuntu Linux/Mixbus daily and have been very happy. However I am mixing some tracks where I wanted to use a sampler with (hopefully) some older GigaSampler gig files. Browsing the Internet I found people saying HALion 7 could do this so I decided to drop into the Windows boot, setup Mixbus and try loading a few VSTs. That works, and I have a number of VSTs from Plugin Boutique all working correctly, but the HALion 7 VST doesnā€™t scan correctly and isnā€™t recognized within Mixbus so for my needs it seems to be pretty useless.

Additionally the HALion 7 install added some sort of ā€˜generic low latency audio driverā€™ which Mixbus and my system didnā€™t like and was causing problems, but removing that in the Windows Apps removal seems to have fixed that problem.

The HALion 7 app does seem to run outside of Mixbus. I donā€™t know how to use it and so far havenā€™t gotten any sound. That could be solved Iā€™m sure if I spent some time but being that Mixbus is not a supported DAW I doubt I would get any support from Steinburg and donā€™t feel like banging my head against that wall. (There is history here with bad support from Steinburg 10-15 years ago that leaves me quite leery of the engaging with the company at all, but HALion 7 looks like a wonderful product on paper so I was hopeful.)

Being that removing the ASIO driver seems to have solved my glitched audio Iā€™ll continue to see if I can get HALion 7 working even if itā€™s just a 30 day demo. Maybe Iā€™ll figure it out. Maybe Iā€™ll find one or two folks here with some Mixbus and/or Ardour experience.

Again, your help is very much appreciated. Thanks very much.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to write the detailed feedback, much appreciated.
While not officially supported, I can run HALion 7 VST3 quite well in Ardour 7 on my mac.
The Generic low latency driver is optional. As you found out already, it is not required. We put it on there anyway, because some people do not have a professional ASIO interface and wonā€™t get any sound at all from the HALion 7 standalone.
I hope the demo convinces you after all, we put a lot of love into this :wink:
Let me know if I can be of further help. Replies might be slow though.

1 Like

As you suggested I get no sound at all from HALion using my normal drivers which work fine with Mixbus. Iā€™ve reinstalled the Steinburg ASIO driver and I do get sound from H7 but sometimes it clicks a lot and other times it doesnā€™t. I think my longer term solution, if I purchase, would be to set it up on a different machine with an HDSP 9652. I will investigate that.

And I certainly can tell you all put a lot of love and effort into a product like this. Iā€™m an outlier being a Linux person. This may or may not work for me but I do appreciate the help.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. An alternative on Windows is always ASIO4All, but depending on your computer this might sometimes work better or worse. If you have a soundcard/audio interface with proper ASIO drivers, it is usually better.

I wanted to report back that while there are some minor issues with H7 on my Win 10 machine the demo version did install and both the stand alone and VST apps appear to be working with Mixbus 32C. Keep in mind that I know almost nothing about H7 or how to use it effectively but so far I am able to do quite a lot with it.

In the case of the VST, the scan process that fails with H7 doesnā€™t appear to actually stop the VST from being applied to a track and working as best I can tell. I have reported the VST issues to Harrison Consoles and they are generally pretty responsive so I expect there will be a solution, or possibly itā€™s already fixed but because I havenā€™t updated in a while I cannot see that. None the less I expect it will work out.

I was going to test this with Ardour and hope to one of these days soon but havenā€™t gotten to that quite yet.

Anyway, just letting you know the status.

Cheers

1 Like

Philippe, et all,

Just wanted you to know that, while I have many, many questions that need answering about how to best use this massive set of capabilities, I am order the Complete 6 package today. Iā€™ve had great luck with imports of my GigaSampler libraries and as an original purchaser of a DX7 Iā€™m in love the FM Lab. My DX 7 still functions 40 years after I purchased it new and is mostly used as just a keyboard controller these days but FM Lab is so much fun in term of revisiting all these old libraries.

Anyway, as you stated earlier and I now agree - thereā€™s a lot of love in these products and I both feel it and appreciate it.

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like