Halion 7 very heavy on CPU

from my experience it does not work correctly on a bit older computer processors…
i get droputs, insane load of peak and memory… other instruments work fine.
also the performance options where you can choose multiple cores does not work correctly.

Hi, it can get heavy. This depends highly on the engine used by your sounds.
Anything spectral or wavetable can get pretty heavy, very quick. Especially if unison is involved, as it multiplies the engines.
Subtractive and sample zones should be light enough, even for older machines (one of my testboxes here has intel i5 from 2017, and can run HALion 7 just fine).
For samples, it makes sense to experiment with the Disk/RAM balance slider.
Please also keep in mind that your plug-in host might have different ideas then halion about core scheduling. In most cases, it makes sense to leave this to the host by setting multicore off (default in halion).
I hope this gives a bit of perspective, feel free to ask if you still have questions.

1 Like

For me it doesn’t work at all. Phenom2 just can’t produce sound.
some buttons works and i can switch presets, half of an hour to register those free plugins, that just cannot be downloaded easy from assistant and registered afterwards - get on site, press download, get email, put code in elicenser, check the stuff - and then bang it’s simply not working.
any midi-keynote pressing whenever - midi or just with mouse - and the app closes standalone or vst 16ms /50 /75 +boost +special mode - cpu is not reacting on that with 10% load and 6 cores free to use. i can understand that you are using some special libraries and cpu commands, but well they were using lamps to produce sound and it is still working, i mean there can be simple cpu profiles with optimizations - if you are serious about sound producing software.
there is always an option - to get a new software or hardware; Roland sh-4d works with just few batteries for few hours and usual cpu needs about 30-150 watt just to work - you just can’t get enough ?