Halion One (VST Sound Instrument Set) worth installing?

Hi, I just realized that Halion One from Cubase 4 was replaced by Halion Sonic SE in Cubase 8. From what I read here (https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/sounds_loops/vst_sound_instrument_sets/synthesizer.html) it does not appear that those sounds were included in Halion Sonic SE. Are they worth installing? I think I may still have my old install DVD from Cubase 4 somewhere but otherwise, does anyone have a downloadable link to this sound set? And like I said, is it worth installing or not really?

An impossible question to answer - some people may love those sounds - others will hate them - and most will fall somewhere in between! Isn’t if YOU like them the important thing? Install and see. If they are instruments and not just sample sets I suspect they will be 32bit. which you might not want if you have a 64bit system. I’ve found older Steinberg 32 bit instrument sets won’t install on my system anyway - the installer just says “wrong version of windows” and craps out. I ended up having to extract the files from the installer to get “The Grand” (the Original one) running on my system - a piano I still love the sound of and is extremely light on the system by modern standards.

You extracted the sounds from TG1?

Wow!

Anyway, yeah occasionally I will open up an old song and a HALionOne sound is missing. If my project is labeled properly, I’m usually able to find a suitable replacement. I’m pretty sure HSE can cover anything One could do with a little work, but I had always wished they included or gave us an easy way to re-import just for consistencies sake.

Hi there,

just to chime in, ALL HALionOne sounds were included in HALion Sonic SE. They even have the same names, you just have to look for them.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Thanks Luis, I guess there is no reason to hang on to my old Cubase 4 DVD then, if I am now at Cubase 8 and purchasing upgrades online?

Halion one is included in Cubase 8 in the Additional folder content, even if you have a Cubase 8 download!

Best regards

Koen

But if you have bought the “Synthesizers - VST Sound Instrument Set” than you probably need to install the HalionOne VST plugin.

I bought the synthesizer sound set and was told it’s not worth it to install one.

i’ve also had a hard time installing my The Grand box set, how did you go about extracting the files from the installer to get them to run on your system? I’m using a Mac OS X El Capitan version 10.11.5

thanks!

If I remember rightly I renamed the installer file to either rar or zip and then pulled the data out, I’m a Windows user, it became a moot point anyway as it no longer works with Cubase 9 being 32 bit. I ended up buying AIR’s mini-grand in a sale for a tenner, which is my go to lightweight piano when I’m just sketching things. 9 out of 10 times I end up using NI’s Alicia Keys in the mix these days - it just sits so nicely in almost any genre of music. Though it wouldn’t be my top choice for solo piano work.