Halion with Komplete Kontrol or Maschine 2 software

So is it not possible to use Halion, or any other Steinberg instrument, as a plug-in with NI Komplete Kontrol or Maschine software? I have tried configuring KK to look at the Steinberg directories, but no luck. Has anyone got this to work or is Steinberg just not supported? It does not show up in NI list of NKS compatibles, but wondering if there is a hack to make it work.

Just use the VST2 version of Steinberg plugins (Komplete Kontrol not load VST3 for now), I use HALion 6 and HALion Sonic and Groove Agent, in Komplete kontrol with no problem, but you have to save the NKS Preset manually (one by one) cause there is no converted preset for Steinberg product (as far as I know).

Well that’s encouraging to know that it does work.

I was able to get it to work with HALion Sonic. I pointed it at the following dir:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\Shared Components\HALion Sonic SE

But no luck for HALion 6, GA5, Padshop, etc. Any clue as to what file name (or file type) I am looking for? Am I looking for a .vst file or a .dll? I was a little surprised it worked for Halion Sonic when that dir contained only a .dll and a .srf file (was expecting a .vst)

I feel like I have searched everywhere, so it must be in some really obscure place. I found a set of vst3’s under:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Steinberg

But I don’t even think those are the right ones. I tried removing the Halion 6 ones from the dir and Cubase was still able to find the plugin somehow.

FOUND IT!!!

All of the Steinberg Absolute 4 plugins are in:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins

How the hell they got in there I have no idea. I haven’t used Cakewalk for years.

And surprised that they are .dll files, was looking for vst unless those are contained in the .dll.

Anyway, it seems to work perfectly at least with initial testing.

Not sure what you mean about NKS presets. All of the HALion 6 presets appear to be there. Can you briefly explain what you meant by that?

Yes for sure the VST preset are here but there is no NKS preset (used by Komplete Kontrol) for steinberg VSTi

OK, I see what you mean. I found this, Preset Magician:

Which looks like it would be really helpful for batch conversion, but unfortunately it does not work for Steinberg stuff according to someone on the NI forums. Tried it, but errors when when importing, so looks like one-by-one is the only option.

Thanks for the info.

Hi all,

was there any progress on this?

Was trying out a couple of things, but could not get Halion 6 Presets to convert to KK NKS.

Failed also to find “true” VST2-Plugins for Halion 6. If you look at the file properties of “Halion 6.dll”, it shows info, that it is a VST3 packaged into a DLL. And a VST3 does not work for PresetMagician.

Also looked at and tried the demo NKS-Presets from Absolute3 posted on this Google Page. Does anyone know, whether there is also an offering for Absolute4, and a price range?

LG, Juergi