Hard Drive Integration - SSD + HDD

Hi, everybody. I just built a new PC which has a 500GB SSD and a 4TB HDD. I was hoping to install Dorico itself on the SSD and keep everything else (sound libraries, Dorico files, etc) on the HDD since they take up a ton of room. I’m having a hard time figuring out how to install the HALion sounds onto the HDD, however. Therefore, a few questions:

1. Is it worth having Dorico on the SSD or will it not benefit much over being on the HDD (which is a 5400rpm unit)?
  2. If I’m going to use NotePerformer, do I have to install the HALion sound stuff?
  3. If the answer to #1 and #2 is ‘yes’, what’s the best way to manage this? When installing the HALion stuff, I don’t have the option of selecting a different drive. NotePerformer, however, installed just fine on my HDD.

Thanks!

I can’t remember whether the HALion installer gives you the option of installing to a second drive, however it does install a program called Steinberg Library Manager. After installation, run Steinberg Library Manager and use the “Move” button to the right of each HALion component to move the files elsewhere.

Using the Library Manager will retain all functionality and ensure that nothing breaks, I assume?

Thanks for the tip!

I certainly hope so!

For 2: NotePerformer and HALion are entirely independent. You can have one, or the other, or both.

FYI I would totally do the opposite - because the load time for Dorico is small compared to the sample libraries. If Dorico is working hard, I think it is more calculation rather than loading a Dorico feature.