Harmonics, display

I get this result when entering a whole note + (artificial) harmonic:
Harmonic_Dorico
It looks quite crooked but the harmonic note cannot be corrected independant from the main note. Is there another way to make this look better?
Thanks!

I agree that this doesn’t look good, and indeed modifying the diamond noteheads used for harmonics (or at the least making Dorico choose a different kind by default) is on my list of things to do on a rainy day. I think your best bet, assuming you have Dorico Pro 3.5, would be to edit that notehead type yourself in Engrave > Notehead Sets to something that you like the look of more.

For anyone searching for the this, I managed to fix the alignment of artificial whole note harmonic by adding a text “.” next to the note head (scale X: 1, Y: 1, Offset X: 1,10, Y:0)

There’s something else, related to this, that probably ought to be addressed at some point - I didn’t like the look of this when it appeared in my score (cello, btw, so open strings):
Screenshot 2023-08-08 150228
Having checked Gould’s recommendations for multiple harmonics (p. 421), this turns out to be precisely what she doesn’t recommend - diamonds should always be vertically aligned with their fundamentals. It would be good to head this one off at the pass next time someone looks at the alignment issue. Independent control of the position of the diamond (e.g. X offset in Properties) would be a fix, but ideally you shouldn’t have to.

If you put the main notes in different voices, then the harmonics align
art

2 Likes

Many thanks for the quick reply, @Janus, it never occurred to me to try that. Splendid, looks great on the violin too, especially with the notehead tweaks in place:
Screenshot 2023-08-08 154640
Good to know there’s always someone out there who knows more than I do :grin: