Harp Harmonic

Having an issue with harp harmonic play back not working…

Far as I know **harp harmonics are notated an octave below the sounding pitch. and Note performer does not do this automatically.

I have seen a couple of Methods duplicating harmonic expression maps transposing 12 semitones and creating a new technique for harmonics.

I cannot get it to work this way, and I am unsure what the issue is.

Are you definitely using the right ‘Harp Harmonic’ playing technique in your project? Can you create a minimal example of a project that exhibits the problem (e.g. just the harp instrument, and just a bar or two of music) and attach it here?

Noteperformer plays back the harp harmonics at the written pitch. I have been in conversation about it with harpists. Adler states in his orchestration book that this is common as a notation option but what practically happens is that the musicians are indeed playing the harmonic on the string one octave below.

Personally, I like to notate the harmonic at the sounding pitch and then at parts to make the transposition (8vb), but this could also be an automated option provided by Dorico?

Generally, a special panel is probably needed for the harp for techniques like etouffee etc

I am sure that I am using the correct technique.

There was another part to my reply after that first question, which you’ve answered, to wit:

Can you create a minimal example of a project that exhibits the problem (e.g. just the harp instrument, and just a bar or two of music) and attach it here?

Go to Library>Expression Maps, select the NotePerformer map, select the Harp Harmonic base switch, and click the pencil icon underneath the list of switches. In the Playback Technique Combinations dialog box, select the Harp harmonic playback technique and click OK. Then click OK to close the Expression Maps dialog box. If you now apply the Harp Harmonic playing technique to a note, does it playback an octave higher than written?

1 Like