Harp laissez vibrer

Hi,
Apologies if this is a stupid question but I can’t find any info elsewhere - I’ve just used the playback functionality for the first time in a long time and I notice the harp notes only last as long as the notated duration. My score is full of l.v. notes and chords. I can’t remember, is there a way to get Dorico playback to simulate any sustain?
Thanks

A lot depends on what sound library you are using for playback. The Halion sounds that come with Dorico don’t contain a harp - it’s kind of a guitar… If you use Noteperformer, the sounds should sustain. The other thing you can do is to add pedal marks; that should get you the effect you want.

Just be aware that some sound sets use the pedal CC to indicate damping instead of sustaining, so make sure to understand how individual sound sets work.

(I think some of the Garritan harp sound sets may use the pedal indication in this way.)

1 Like

@Derrek is right. PianoTeq’s harp has two settings in this regard: one where the pedal is used to dampen, and another setting that mimics the piano behavior.

Thanks all. I’m using HALion so I created a separate file and added pedals to everything. That was a satisfactory solution but it’s a bit of a faff.