Has anyone tried N6.5 with a MC Control yet?

PC or Mac?

His signature says Windows 8, so …

Fredo

I have not had a single crash on exit since installing 6.5. Nor any key command issues.

Chewy

Then I would sure like to know what’s going on with mine. I’m certainly not making this stuff up. I would much rather be working that trouble shooting this kind of crap.

This key command thing is really puzzling. I open the project and use a KC from my X-tra keys module I get a “blank.” I do the very same command with the QWERTY keyboard and it works. Then I go back try it again with the ONE BUTTON TOUCH version of the same command and now it works, WTH? :question: :question: :question:

Okay, I’ve sorted out the KC glitch. Some KC’s were missing in the X-tra keys. Others had been overwritten. So I’m guessing there was some kind of fragments screwing things up. In any case, I cleared the slots out, re-wrote the commands and they seem to be working consitantly now in 6.5.

Now about the knob calibration…
Nuendo Channel EQ reads as follows:
Hi = 12K
HM = 2K
LM = 800
Lo = 100

The MC readings for the same Channel EQ:
Hi = 12028K
HM = 2010.5K
LM = 804.6
Lo = 100.6

You guys don’t have this discrepancy on your MC Controls?

Finally, Since the one PC guy who isn’t having problems with his Artist Series gear is running Win.8, is SB suggesting that we now change our O.S from 7 to 8 as the fix?

I know you are frustrated, and I feel your pain, but I really, really think that you’ll have to look for a problem in your system, instead of firing all your ammo towards Steinberg.
There are many Win7 users who have a perfectly working system with 6.5.
There is one person in this thread, I can confirm the crash on exit fix on my system, and I can confirm that the problem has been solved for all of the betatesters, who confirmed the fix.

So please calm down, relax, take a deep breath and start the troubleshooting process again.
Or call support.

Fredo

I don’t know what you mean by “firing ammo towards Steinberg.” I’m just looking for a fix to the problem(s). So far, I’ve only heard from 1 PC person and 2 Mac People who have stated that they weren’t having the crash on exit problem. You’re on a Nuage System. So I definitely wouldn’t expect you to have the problem. 3 replies is hardly a definitive fix.

I am perfectly willing to accept that there may be some other problem with my PC. But, so far, nobody at ADK has been able to track down what that might be. If anyone here has any suggestions as to where else I might look, I’ll be happy to look there. As for the calibration issues, I’ve only gotten one response from anybody here saying that they hadn’t noticed a difference. But other people on the Avid site have and they’ve made suggestions regarding calibrations for other DAWs to correct this. I would like very much to get this type of information from people who use the same DAW as I am.

Yes, I’m very frustrated. but my problem isn’t so much with SB as it is with Avid. Nuendo has been a great platform for me since N1.0. All of this BS started when I added this MC to my rigg. I’m betting that if Euphonix still owned/managed this product line, none of this would be happening. But since Avid took over, this is exactly what I was expecting and hoping to avoid. Since I can’t get ANY help over at the Avid site (now that it’s All PT users), I’m looking here. I’m not yelling at anybody, blaming anybody or angy with anybody. I just want to fix these remaining issues so I can get back to work instead of feeling like I’m constantly working around all of these issues.

I can only repeat that

A. The “crash on exit” fix has passed through Steinberg QA
B. The Fix has been confirmed by the betatest team.
C. Users are confirming the fix.

So therefore I think that your “Is SB suggesting to switch OS?” is not fair.

For the record, we run 4 studio’s of which only one is equiped with a Nuage System.
We do use the Artist series in the other rooms.

And lastly, I know the guys at ADK pretty well, in fact all of our machines (a bunch) come from ADK.
So I know very well that they know their business better than anyone else.
I would check two things.

• Are all (Avid & Steinberg) Eucon adapters updated correctly? Check versions.
  • Is your network configuration functioning correctly?

I can’t really help you with the network problem, we run a Bussiness domein server, so everything is configured by a specialized company. What I do know is that our Artist series units (Mix & Control) are traveling from one studio to the other without problems. We just plug them into our network and there we go. The only “problem” we have is that a certain studio claims a unit before the concerned studio can do it. So we have to realease the drive first in another studio before we can connect to the correct one. We had the crash on exit until the latest Steinberg driver.

Sorry I can’t offer more help.

Fredo

Are you using 3.1.3?

I am on Windows 7 on PC and after reading the thread that Fredo suggested about how to update the adapter, I did update the Eucon adapter, and it did fix the so called “crash” on exit, actually it was “Nuendo has stopped working” after Nuendo closed.
Anyway, yes there is a new Eucon adapter that came with 6.5 and I missed it when I updated. I embarrassingly missed the tick boxes to update the adapter, I assumed it would update it automatically, so I apologize for that.

There are minor differences on how the MC control reports the the EQ frequencies. There are 2 decimal points on the higher EQ’s on the MC. Nuendo only has one decimal point, so I think Nuendo is rounding the number and the MC is more precise.

Well, if the MC is more precise, then why can’t the settings be rounded down to exactly 2k for the High Mids instead of 2010? The slightest turn to the left to take it down to 2k results in a reading of 1996.2! That doesn’t seem right to me. Is there some fine tune setting that I can apply in order to get the MC to show the same readings?

Sigh, I ALMOST had it. I did yet another complete uninstall of Eucon 3.0 and replaced it with 3.1.3. This, of course made my PC crash yet again and when it came back up it showed an ERROR MESSAGE for the Eucon install. When I fired up N6.5 and the MC, as expected (considering the Eucon error message), there was no connection between the MC and Nuendo. So I closed shut the MC off and exited Nuendo. For the first time ever I did not get the crash on exit with Nuendo while the Eucon App was installed!

Several reboots later, I got the MC to re-connect with N6.5. So now I’m at 3.13 with the latest firmware on N.65 with no apparent KC issues. Finally!! Then I shut everything down and got that “Nuendo has stopped working” error message.
Nuendo 6_ERROR MESSAGE_Crash on Exit.jpg
This would usually indicate that the link with Nuendo and the MC was broken yet again. But several re-starts of both are showing a properly functioning connection. So that’s something.

I guess I’ll have to start from scratch like everybody else with a new C drive and re-build the system from scratch to get the no crash on exit results. For now, I’ve got projects in the pipeline that won’t allow that kind of shut down. So, I’ll have to make do with it as is.

With due respect, can you hear the difference between EQ’ing at 1992.6 Hz, 2000 Hz, and 2010.5 Hz?

Surely there are more important things to be concerned with in the process of making music. I am going to hang it out there and predict that there are no 2 analog equalizers, whether Pultec, Neve, Elysia, Trident, SSL, or any other fantastic sounding device wherein 2 identical models track frequencies well below 1% of variation. And we all wish we had a bunch of awesome analog EQs that have displays that are orders of magnitude less precise than what you are concerned about.

I would put the display discrepancy you are addressing near the bottom of even a very long list of things to be concerned about. It is merely a variance in the granularity of the displays of 2 different devices from 2 different manufacturers. Possibly a little OCD going on, methinks. It happens.

Keyplayer,

I would start with troubleshooting your network. To me it seems that the problems are rather caused by a network problem than by a install problem.
Permissions?

Fredo

Okay, What should I be looking for as the “smoking gun?”

You are probably using a router for all the surfaces.

I had new cables made for the surfaces - the ones that came in the box didn’t work properly. There are two different types. A cross-over and normal I think. I can’t remember which ones worked, but the were the opposite to the ones supplied.

Check for bios updates for the network on your mobo.

After that, I would re-instal your machine. Too much trouble-shooting. Move to Windows 8.1. You won’t regret it. (Once you get past the Metro interface…)

I forgot to mention that my MC Control matches the Nuendo EQ read-out exactly.

That’s great. I, unfortunately had to take mine completely offline! :cry: I have several projects that I have to finish and I just couldn’t take the constant crashes.

The final straw came when I fired up the system and, once again, the MC had lost contact with N6.5. The un-install of 3.1.3 caused a crash. The re-install did not restore the connection. Every re-boot gave me an error message from Avid saying that Eucon was not working. I un-installed 3.1.3 again and took everything Avid/Euphonix off of my PC. Once that was done, my PC went back to happy happy, joy joy.

I fired up N6.5 and it worked just fine. No crashes, no hick-ups of any kind.

Clearly, I’m going to have to go extreme and install a new C drive and rebuild the system from scratch in order to get a N6/MC system that doesn’t try to destroy my MOBO! I don’t have time for that right now. I need to work and frankly, it feels great to be able to do just that! It was exhausting spending half a day every single day trying to figure out why this one piece of hardware was causing all of this aggravation when it was purchased specifically to make things easier and speed things up!

Next time I have a day or so to rebuild the system, I’ll try it again. Right now, it feels great not to have to think about this BS anymore!