Headphone Mix - UR28M

Is anyone using or have any suggestions on setting up a separate headphone mix with 28M? I still trying to work my way around the mix software. Basically what I want to do is be able to put reverb in the headphone for a vocalist, not though the monitor and not recorded. Can this be done without using the Control Room? I’m probably missing something in the manual or how I’m thinking this through. Any help would be appreciated.

So no one is using a headphone mix with UR28m?

on the MR816 you just click on the input channel menu to bring up the ‘Hardware’ panel, from there you can add rev-x to the monitor signal with no latency, I’m sure the UR works in a similar fashion.

MC

Yes it’s similar. But I want to isolate the headphone mix. I just want reverb on the headphone mix Not the Monitor mix. I thought this can be done on the #2 headphone output. I haven’t figured out how.

Maybe this is really as hard as it seems. I contacted support and this is what I was told to do:

1. Go to Devices, VST Connections, Outputs, and add a new stereo out named “Headphone 1”. Set the device ports for this to the Mix 2 options.

2. In the mixer, use the sends of each channels to create the desired headphone mix to “Headphone 1”.

3. Go to Devices, Audio Hardware Setup. On the Reverb tab, send the Reverb to Mix 2 (Headphone 1). On the Headphone tab, assign the desired headphone output to Mix 2.

I did that and it works to an extent. I can send anything that’s been recorded to the Headphone 1 mix. However, if I’m trying to record a vocal/analog source with this setup with the monitor button on, I can’t hear what’s being recorded. I can see it’s being recorded and like I mentioned when I play it back I can here it. Obviously, I/the vocalist/the musician, needs to hear what they’re singing or playing as it’s being recorded. What’s interesting is I can hear what’s being recorded to an instrument instrument track via the HeadPhone1 mix if I send that track to it. Can someone try this and see if it works for you? Remembering that I want to be able to add reverb to the headphone mix only and not monitoring if I choose as well as be able to hear while the track is being recorded.

I’ve sent the this reply back to support but I’ve not heard back from them thus this post. Hopefully someone can chime in.

Having same problem with same results. Surely I don’t have to set up another track in order for my vocalist to hear his vocal going down. I’ve heard this technique referred to as recording on “input”. Is there not a way to do this in Cubase? Thanks for any help.

My original question was doing this via the UR28M and the answer was no. However you can do this if you use the Control Room. The issue is Direct Monitoring. Answer I received from support:

“I’m sorry but to hear the direct monitor output using a second mix on the UR, you will need to use Control Room. If you turn off direct monitoring, you will hear the output per my previous instructions.”

-Also from Support - Without Direct Monitoring
Here is how I would do it without Control Room:

1. Go to Devices, VST Connections, Outputs, and add a new stereo out named “Headphone 1”. Set the device ports for this to the Mix 2 options.

2. In the mixer, use the sends of each channels to create the desired headphone mix to “Headphone 1”.

3. Go to Devices, Audio Hardware Setup. On the Reverb tab, send the Reverb to Mix 2 (Headphone 1). On the Headphone tab, assign the desired headphone output to Mix 2.

I’ve done it with Control Room but it’s a little more cumbersome than I thought possible just using the UR28M. Not using direct monitor, for me, gave unacceptable performance.