HELP - elicenser stopped working

I restarted C6, and got eLicenser error.

Application ‘LCC2’ has caused the following error:
DCOM connection to program ‘Synsopos.exe’ failed.
Error: The remote procedure call failed.

Restarting computer is not helping.

If I run eLicenser Control Center, it starts and shows only “Reading eLicensers…”, but nothing shows up.

I switched dongle to another usb port, and installation wizard started, but install was not succesfull.

Restarted again, run Control Center again, and now my C6 license is GONE! It only shows mp3 Encoder Demo License. WHAT IS GOING ON?

Looking at MySteinberg, my license if there. How fo I transfer license back to eLicenser? Or something…

I am having exact same problem. Did you get your resolved?

It works now, but I don’t know what I did. I tried plugging it into several usb ports, rebooting pc several times… I don’t know what exactly was the cause that it started working again. I guess dongle is dying or something…

One thing to note is, that I received no reply from Steinberg team to my problem, even after several weeks. Tried to call service in Germany by phone several times, but got no connection. I was hoping that somebody from Steinberg in this official forum would at least say something, give me an email or phone number of anybody from their service department… nothing! Really bad customer experience. Dissapointed.

that’s odd that they didn’t respond to you. I actually got response from the folks at Yamaha in the US as well as someone from Germany. What I did was to open a service request and they responded within 24 hours. Anyway, my problem is now resolved as well. Cheers!