Help needed: Old CPR Project from Cubase SX, need to know what's inside

Hello Cubase Gang!

I used to have a license of Cubase SX, and did an arpegiato sequence, really simple, with probably just 1 or maybe 2 VSTi.

Since I don’t have it anymore, could someone be kind enough to tell me:

• What VSTi / VSTFx (and probably Midi Fx) was used?
  • If possible, a screenshot of the synth (and Fx)'s state so that I can reproduce the exact tpreset

Not quite sure but I might have use this 3rd party VSTi called ReFX FireBird+ (v2.1 is the same, now free, amazing “vintage” VST by the way):
http://zacchino.free.fr/shared/Tone2_Firebird_2.1.zip

Here’s the CPR File (including an alt version for some reasons, and some backups):
http://zacchino.free.fr/shared/Bells_Cubase.zip

I’d be very, very grateful, whatever I can do in exchange you name it!

First off, that .cpr was created by Cubase 5.1.0, not SX3.
It was created Sunday ‎24 ‎January ‎2010, ‏‎16:36:32.
An M-audio Axiom 61 keyboard was used for input.
There’s one track, routed to “SimSynth VSTi”.
On that track there’s just one chord over 4 bars, a Cmin9/11.

I’m guessing that the arpeggio was created entirely by that synth, and as we don’t yet know what version of that synth was used, it isn’t yet possible to reconstruct the audio. The likelihood is that it was a 32-bit VSTi, in which case it won’t work in the current version of Cubase.

1 Like

I can only be of partial assistance:

The synth appears to be SimSynth

The arpeggio plugin is Arpache 5 showing these settings:

And the arpeggio renders to midi like this:
MIDI 02.zip (404 Bytes)

2 Likes

Excellent! I missied that detail!

So, giving a guess that this might have been a synth bass arpeggio, I get this:

3 Likes

Since the project file is called Bells-01.cpr - maybe that’s hinting at the name of the patch?

If we follow that trail into the legible parts of the .CPR file opened with our favorite text editor, and we see 13 Instances of “Bell” in the following order:

BellsHigh
Bells
BellsHigh
SpaceBells
Strange bells
Bells
Bells.cpr
C:\Users\Administrateur\Desktop\Bells\
BellsHigh
Bells
BellsHigh
Space Bells
Strange bells

My quick guess / interpretation of that data is:

• Active Patch
    – BellsHigh

• Other patches with “bells” in the name (the .cpr file contains numerous other names without “bell” - and note: they are in alphabetical sequence in the .cpr file)
    – Bells
    – BellsHigh
    – SpaceBells
    – Strange bells

• Cubase Project Name and location (without the version number)
    – Bells
    – Bells.cpr
    – C:\Users\Administrateur\Desktop\Bells\

• and a repeat of the active patch name
    – BellsHigh

• and a repeat of the available patch names (the other patch names are repeated there, too - but I’m only listing the one’s with “bell” in the name)
    – Bells
    – BellsHigh
    – Space Bells
    – Strange bells

2 Likes

Wow I feel so, so grateful to have been answer in such a timely & precise manner!

Thank you so so much for the precious time that you guys, MrSoundman & Nico5 took on deciphering my little yet old project file. I couldn’t have asked for better!

Okay so it seems like indeed I used SimSynth Live (I used to love its simplicity), along with as I guessed, the Arpache Arpegiator MidiFx.

Now it’s weird because I really thought I used another synth, but I can’t deny the obvious truth of your results.

As for the patch, indeed it was a Bell-sounding one. So great (educated) guess Nico5!

I’ll look into your comments and compare the different presets on another DAW, reproducing the whole sequence.

Again, so so grateful and happy! You guys are amazing!!!

1 Like