Help - no sound!

Daniel’s solution resolved my similar playback problem.

I think playback had worked fine when I tried Dorico soon after the original launch. But I’d set it aside waiting for features I need.

Today I updated to 1.1 and opened the file I created back in November.

When I pressed the space bar in Play mode, the play button in the app window responded, but the playback wiper didn’t move and there was no sound.

I checked Halion, and while at first it didn’t show the correct sounds, on a subsequent open, the correct sounds appeared. They would play when I clicked on the Halion keyboard, but that didn’t resolve the playback issue.

After I followed Daniel’s steps above, playback resumed as expected.

Thanks, Daniel!

I spend hours and hours to solve the playback problem. I did a complete reinstallation and still NO SOUND. Location of the Halion drivers ok. I am sure I use the right asio driver. In Cubase everything works instantly. I am very dissappointed. In Sibelius I never had any problems.

What sample rate is your working Cubase projects set to? I don’t think Dorico will reset the sample rate of your sound card, so you have to make sure that they match…

Could you please open Dorico, create a simple piano project with a handful of arbitrary notes and then go to the main menu and choose Help > Create Diagnostics Report ? That will create a zip file on your desktop. Please post here or send to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de. I am sure we will solve your problems, soon.

I’ve found the sound is wanting to cut out a lot, and the only way to get it back on is to go into Edit, Device Setup, clcik “Device Control Panel”, and hit OK in that dialog, which seems to reset the device.

That’s using the Generic Low Latency ASIO driver.

Is there maybe a better driver?

Have you tried increasing the buffer size in the Control Panel of the Generic Low Latency Driver? Increased buffer sizes should in any case bring better performance (but an increased latency at the same time.)

Second, you could try the ASIO4All driver which is available for free here: http://asio4all.com/

Third, we always recommend to use external audio interfaces that come with a dedicated ASIO driver. Professional quality interfaces are available from many makers, also e.g. Steinberg’s UR series - not wanting to mention the many competitors, but they also have excellent gear. Such devices start already below 100$ and have the advantage that the manufacturers supply dedicated ASIO drivers with them. That means the driver is optimized for that specific device and delivers best possible performance at even low latency.

Excuse me - what is the “Default Playback template” - I also had no sound
clicking on this caused the sound playback to work - the text in the menu means nothing to me
A better text would be “make the sound work”

/Joe

In the same way, “make the sound work” also means nothing, because it doesn’t make the sound working.

All what “Default Playback Tempalte” does is, it loads for each player the default sound patch into HALion Sonic.
A properly loaded sound patch is, among other things, one prerequisite of getting your score playing back something.

I did try increasing the buffer to 100ms. Couldn’t make it any bigger.

But one interesting thing. Changing the sample rate made quite a big difference. In the end, I got stable playback when I set it to 96k. I expected it would be more stable at lower rates, but the opposite was true. At 44.1k it was full of clicks and pops. At 48 it was clean but dropped out. At 96k it was great.

Actually the quality of the sound rendering is the best of any product I’ve tried. I especially love that it plays dim/cresc on a single held note (and does it really nicely). Also that it makes a difference between normal, slurred and staccato notes. So great to finally hear some of the articulations that are in the score.

Fixed this by simply moving the Halion track above the rest. Previous to this I noticed that the piano keys appeared to move in Halion but without sound if the Midi was set to one… So moving it up to track one seemed the logical thing to do.
Then I changed the output to ‘Main’… See picture Fixed | Paul Smith | Flickr

Hope this saves people time and effort.

I swear if there are user problems second 1 … how can it be the customer software users fault?
if you bought a new car and it didnt work with a new engine a new battery and full tank of petrol !!!
dont we think its the company who makes the software that is also making the incomplete product?
lets hold them accountable so the product is first class at every stage and for all applications of use.
like steve jobs says … it just works . … works with out issues.

All I see on this thread are Steinberg employees (and other users) trying to help troubleshoot user problems, not blaming them for the audio not working.

“Let’s hold them accountable”? Please take a little more time to read through employees’ posts on the forum before writing this. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a more involved development team.

If you have questions about using Dorico, don’t hesitate to ask. You’ll find a very engaged user base here. But I think you’ll also find that unfair accusations won’t be well-received.

well so far its given my new mac 2018 nothing but grief. so much so I will retrospect the whole OS as a result of its grief. like I said I do want it just to work .

Then ask a specific question about the difficulties you’re having, and you’ll likely get a specific answer.

I assume you’re having audio issues, though you haven’t actually said that. Have you consulted the sticky thread that addresses audio issues?

Thanks to Daniel and Ulf for this… just had this problem and this solution worked! One note for Mac users re: step 9: As of MacOS 10.15, “Archive 4 items…” is now “Compress 4 items…”