Help purchase Cubase 10.5 PRO for Windows 7 (64bit)

Can someone help me to purchase Cubase 10.5 for a Windows 7(64bit) machine?
This is one of mine studio PCs, it was optimized for audio processing, it is not new but has plenty of fast RAM and quite fast processor, it runs some old AKAI samplers connected via SCSI and others PCI cards that I use with old equipment, that is the reason I can’t upgrade this PC to win10, it could be a drivers nightmare to setup.

I would like to purchase Cubase 10.5, I’ve read that this is the last version that support Win7.

I can’t find the right link on
steinberg .net/cubase/
and I don’t want to buy it second hand.

If I understand well, I can buy Cubase 12 and an USB elicenser
steinberg .net/elicenser/

then download Cubase 10.5 and it should work, but something in my mind saying it is not that easy.

I’m new to Steinberg stuff, can someone explain me step by step how to do that?
If that work can I install Cubase 12 on a Windows 11 machine too, or I need to purchase 2 licenses?

thanks a lot!

Marco

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You can always buy just the current Cubase version, what is Cubase 12 at this moment. So you can’t buy Cubase 10.5 at this moment.

In the past, you could run an older Cubase version with the current Cubase license. For example with Cubase 11, you can start Cubase 10.5, Cubase 10, etc. But with Cubase 12, Steinberg started to use a new licensing system, which is not backward compatible. If you would own Cubase 11 (or lower) version, you would update to Cubase 12, you would get Cubase 11 (not upgradable) license to your USB-eLicenser and you would start Cubase 11 and lower with the USB-eLicenser (old licensing system). But if you buy Cubase 12 retail (not an update) at this moment, you don’t get this USB-eLicenser based license anymore. So you cannot start Cubase 11 and lower.

If you really need Cubase 10.5, the only way is to buy 2nd hand Cubase 10.5 or Cubase 11. Sorry.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Martin for your help, that make sense, but how to buy Cubase 11? I can’t find any official link about it, only Cubase 12. Can you paste a link on here, unformatted is fine too, just to get an idea where to take it. About the second hand option I don’t really want to consider.

If I purchase Cubase 11 and 2 USB elicensers, can I run Cubase 11 on one machine (Win 11) and Cubase 10.5 on the older one (Win7)? Both with C10.5 is fine too.

Your can’t. Only the latest version is available for purchase via Steinberg. If you’re lucky, you might be able to find an old copy at a retail store, or you can buy a used copy.

1 Like

Hi,

As I mentioned, the only way is to buy it as second-hand. Or maybe some local distributor could still have Cubase 11 with free update to Cubase 12. This is another way.

You would need 2 licenses to be able to run both of them simultaneously. If you don’t want to run them simultaneously, 1 USB-eLicenser is OK. You would just transfer the USB-eLicenser with the license to the computer, where do you want to work.

Now I understand, thanks a lot Mlindeb and Martin, I’ll visit a local distributor and see what they have, using Cubase not simultaneously is totally fine.

Still one question about Steinberg business policy, I have money in my credit card ready to purchase C11 but they don’t want it, sounds a bit awkward to me, is C11 that old?

Anyway thanks again, I have a clear picture now.

Marco

If you buy new, even if it was Cubase 11, you get Cubase 12 only if you activate now.

Hi,

Not really. You get Cubase 11 Activation Code, which you can activate and get Cubase 11 license. Then you get Cubase 12 for free thanks to the Steinberg Grace Period. But you would have Cubase 11 license already.

Honestly I didn’t think it was so difficult, I’m going to visit my local dealer and see if he can arrange me something to get C10.5, otherwise I have too move to another platform. Actually there should be a logic or a technical reason behind it but I still don’t understand why Steinberg don’t want me to buy a Cubase 10.5 PRO license online or downgrade a new one, it seems quite a weak business model to me but I’m not an expert at all.

Thanks a lot for clarify and for your help.
Best regards

Marco

Hi,

Please, ask for Cubase 11. The seller would more likely have Cubase 11 than Cubase 10.5. And for you, the result is exactly the same with Cubase 11 and Cubase 10.5 license.

There is technical reason behind it. The reason is the switch to the new licensing system. If this wouldn’t happen this year, you could buy the latest Cubase version and use this license to start older Cubase 10.5.

That make sense, thanks a lot for your advice Martin, I’ll ask for C11.

All the best
Marco

You can find copies of 11 Pro on eBay & Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Steinberg-Cubase-Pro-USB-eLicenser/dp/B08WHGNCY7

1 Like

Thanks for help @wildschwein, this is sure a valid option. At the end I decided to switch to another platform (no need to name it here). Purchased on official site in minutes, downgrade available and easy and it runs extremely fast on my Win7 machine too, I’m surprised how snappy and fast it is. Anyway, I really wanted to take C10.5 but was too complicated for me, I usually tent to choose the less complex option, buying online on the official site makes me feel much safer.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Marco