HELP! Trying to Configure UR28M for Entertainment Purposes

Let me start by saying that although I do consider myself quite well versed in computer hardware/software setup, PC audio is still pretty damn close to Greek to me at this point. (I think most will agree that that this is one area they have yet to really simplify after all these years…) So that said, here’s the deal…

I got the UR28M to power my KRK studio monitors for my PC based home entertainment system (as opposed to creating a strict DAW). …I prefer the superior sound of individually powered monitors over your run of the mill home entertainment system. I was previously using an M-Audion ProFire610 audio interface to achieve to power my speakers, but it was getting old and had it’s own quirks, so I thought it was time to upgrade.

Here’s the crux of the problem… I have yet to figure out how to get 5.1 sound working when watching movies.

I’ve had several unsatisfactory email exchanges with Steinberg support. The most I’ve gotten out of them is that I need a video player that supports ASIO, but as far as understand (admittedly limitedly) That still wouldn’t properly direct the front, rear, and surround channels as needed… And as far as I know, isn’t ASIO supposed to be going the way of the dinosaurs? What’s it doing as the only format on a relatively new audio interface?

So far I’ve toyed with ASIO4All with no luck.

With my older M-Audio interface, I was able to go into the Windows sound settings and choose “10 channel, 24 bit” as the default sound format and then i got my surround sound. With the UR28M, The only option available is “2 channel, 24 bit”.

Is this thing strictly designed for DAW usage () and useless for my purposes? Should I send it back while I still can and just go back to using the ProFire610 ? Am I just totally missing something?

For the record, I’m running Windows 7 64bit, and play my videos on MPC-HC with ReClock.

Thanks for any help!

ASIO is certainly not on it’s way out, and yes the UR28M is primarily designed for use with a DAW. Fit for purpose is a buyers responsibility to ensure before purchase. If you are in a position to return the unit, perhaps you should. On the other hand, it may in fact work.
You have to switch the unit from its default ‘Alternate’ Output mode to ‘Independent’. You didn’t mention this, so maybe it’s the missing step.
Furthermore, you can’t target the outputs directly, instead you have to mix each input channel to a specific mix (1,2 or 3 respectively representing e.g. F/Sub,R/L,and RR/RL).
This raises a question for me. If we’re talking 5.1 surround, you have 4 physical line inputs, the other pair are SPDIF. Does this not pose a problem?

Thanks for the response BriHar!

As to the comment about buyers responsibility, the primary reason I chose the UR28M is because the product literature specifically mentioned more than once that it was capable of providing 5.1 surround output.

I assumed that since my previous M-Audio interface integrated so well with windows and did allow 5.1 passthrough, that surely this one would too. So I do take responsibility for that… (We all know what happens when you assume.)

I have indeed tried configuring the output mode to Independent, but all that got me was the ability to map the fl and fr sounds to all six speakers, but that is by no means surround sound.

True there are 4 physical inputs, but there is the digital feed coming in through the USB port which would digitally pass the “fl,fr, rl, rr, cent, and sub” channels. That’s how my M-Audio interface did it (Which, by the was was designed for DAW to).

I do think that what I am trying to do would be achievable given enough time and energy (and if I was better versed in all this audio stuff), but I’m not willing to risk a few hundred bucks on it! So I guess I’ll be returning the UR28M and (for now) go back to my good old reliable ProFire610. It may be a little outdated and have its quirks, but at least it gets the job done easily and straight forward.

Unfortunately I still have yet to test the UR28M in regard to 5.1 . I fear it may only be possible with Cubase, or there may be a prerequisite that the DAW be able to use the Yamaha ASIO driver. The method I described to you and which you have shown doesn’t seem to work was the logical way based on the assumption in fact it was going to work (if you can wrap your head around that last statement).
The unit is indeed capable of 5.1, however only from a DAW it would seem.
So I agree, you are best to return it as I doubt you will ever be satisfied if Music production if not your goal. :wink: