HELP: Trying to get rid of Performer Echo

I’ve got to break for a little bit. Back in a couple of hours.

no probs - it’s late here in the uk so might not be around

(hit repair obviously!)

I’d start with a really simple stereo project - remove VST connect (via the menu item) then readd it

one track of audio - and just a test vocal mic for the performer

Remember that it the performer gets the CUE send from the control room.
Have a play with the various knobs and dials in the main VST Connect Pro window.
Also remember that VST connect is a bit of a “bolt on” so you have to work within it’s limitations regarding monitoring etc

Still no joy. Here’s what I’m finding.

Starting with an EMPTY PROJECT IN NUENDO/STEREO ONLY/SURROUND PORTS AND ALT STEREO PORTS ARE ALL DISCONNECTED. I added one stereo channel to have a playback source for the performer.

1. If I put the mic in channel 1 of my desk and send it via RayDat 1 of the soundcard. It shows up in Nuendo on Stereo in 1 with enough volume to clip.

2. When I create VST Pro Connect, it automatically takes RayDat 1 for the talkback mic, which SHOULD be fine. But the results are that VST Pro opens with no mixer/monitor controls and I don’t see any indication of life on either Stereo In 1 of Nuendo OR VST Connect.

3. When I LAN connect to the laptop, I get the mixer/monitor controls on VST Connect and Performer. All the faders are set to unity. But there is still nothing coming through from the talkback mic.

4. There are differences in the manual vrs what I’m seeing in Nuendo. The instructions are for Cubase. So some terminology is different. Their VST Window says Studio. Nuendo’s says Control Room. Their CR configuration with the insert slots says setup. Mine says inserts. Despite these differences, my settings match all of their settings in the illustration.

5. I checked the headphone feed coming from the laptop. I ran a YouTube source to make sure the audio out worked as well as the headphones. Loud & Clear. (Note: No audio source will work when VST Performer is active.)

6. ALL of the settings in my test setup now match all of the instructions settings. Nevertheless I am getting absolutely NOTHING in my Performer headphones. Nor am I getting any indication of a connection with the Talkback mic, in spite of the desk showing me a gain stage that should be clipping. :frowning_face:
    I have now been working on this setup for almost 9 straight hours! This is ridiculously complex and I am totally reminded as to why I gave up on iterations 1 & 3. I am not lazy or stupid. I can follow instructions. I have read the manual several times. You have the screen shots. WHAT am I missing?

point 2 - the lack of mixer is normal …until you connect

point 3 - first remove any output assignment for the cue sends - pic 1 shows cue(R) going to raydat-adat2 AND you haven’t got talkback enabled for the CUE send (although in pic 2 it is ?)

point 4 - yes the documentation is a mess - the control pictures come from a really old version of cubase…

It’s impossible for me to tell exactly what you are doing and pic1 settings are different from pic2. I also see audio on the performer meters ?

Take a quick look at that page musicullum posted …and ping me when you get online

I’m back and I did look at the page.

Pic 1 where where I started. Pic 2 was where I finished after following line by line of the manual and the associated pics. I can see the same audio passing over to the Performer side. But I can’t hear anything there.

Also, I don’t understand why there is no problem hearing me going through the camera’s mic via the ATEM Mini Switcher. But I can’t get any volume going through VST Connect when I use an actual talkback mic.

Is there any way to just do a PM ichat connection on this new platform?

what computer are you using for the performer end ?

The laptop is a Sony PC ( i7 2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 64bit OS with Win 10)

and is the correct asio driver selected in the performer app ?

can the performer (you!) hear themselves ? on the pictures there is something showing on the performer meters ? what is and can you hear it ?

Yesterday, the drummer had no trouble hearing me coming through the camera’s mic via the switcher. But he could barely hear me when I tried to use a direct mic. The reason for even bothering to switch to the direct mic was because everytime HE SPOKE there was an echo.

We finally got rid of it after your suggestion to turn off all the Nuendo monitors. But then he started hearing an echo from me because I was listening to him on the CR monitors. So we solved that problem by both wearing headphones.

Then I played the source track and he could see the bars/measure count off. But that was it. From that point, I let him go and went back to trying to sort the problem out, via LAN connection, by myself. You saw how that went.

that’s an issue when talkback is open - you can use the dim control to help that (or headphones)

Your setup is complicated because you have various mics/switchers/console involved.

moving forward:
one step at a time, let’s ignore talkback and all the other stuff.
you have a simple stereo project with VST connect added via the cloud - you connected them via the LAN ?
On the perfomer app can you hear the cue from the studio ?

Your Talkback mic is to be set in Studio/AudioConnections/Control Room/Talkback. Only devices from the Studio/Studio Setup/Audio System device are selectable. Once your TB mic is connected and active, you should be able to see the “To Perf” show what you send to the Performer: Studio/Control Room, VST Connect Cue. The volume there is linked to that shown in the VST Connect plugin, as is the meter.
Meters in the Performer “MONITORING” section show what Performer hears, not what you hear. The Performer MASTER channel needs to be assigned an audio output of his audio interface.
Also make sure that “Dim” is not set to a too low level; it is there to avoid feedback when you engage Talkback while listening via speakers (which you shouldn’t ). If you haven’t yet set up headphones, add it in Studio/Audio Connections/Control Room/Add Channel - Headphones, assign your hardware outputs for headphones, and after that apply VST Cloud/VST Connect/Check and repair VST Connect.
In general, you may want to familiarize yourself with the Control Room, it is how professional Studios record from a Studio Room, and VST Connect works like that as close as possible.

On the performer app I can SEE the song playing. I cannot hear it. Both the Master and Studio led meters are showing healthy signal. There is no activity in the VST1, Mic or Instrument leds. There is a picture of it posted close to the top of this thread.

so the question is why can’t you hear anything on the performer app ?
it’s on the meters and it’s playing ok

You need to set an audio output port in the Master channel of the Performer app (top of channel, probably showing (“nc”) for “Not Connected”). You can also do that from the Studio VST Connect plugin; click there when connected, and a list of available audio ports will be shown. You will also need to assign such ports for the Performer Inputs (Mic, Instr, whatever you want to record) in order to listen to and record from Performer signals.
Just like Cubase, the Performer app needs an audio device and ports assigned to inputs and outputs, that’s pretty basic stuff, and also explained in the link I sent. You can set the Performer audio device in the settings, either Performer himself, or from the Studio plugin cogwheel/Performer settings.

THAT was the missing link! I can actually hear through the performer’s headphones now! Thanks a lot guys! :smiley:

Now the next hurdle will be trying to set up 8+ drum mics to print back to Nuendo. When I opened up additional channels for those mics, the sound became seriously degraded.

nice one :slight_smile:
so IMO you need to do a simple test first…

the link back to the studio is just a single stereo feed so I don’t see why additional channels would make a difference to sound quality

Also make sure you report back here…feedback is important - and next time it’s your turn to get somebody else up and running

Will do!! I have absolutely no problem helping others with what I’ve learned. I’ll let you know what happens on the next trial session. :+1:

1 Like

I just called the drummer for a really quick check! He COULD HEAR THE SOURCE TRACK JUST FINE!

I did open additional tracks this time without any sound degradation. So, that’s another worry of the list.

The new problem is trying to get the app to play nice with others. I turned on my camera and the switcher. But VST Pro Connect was already on and had the settings locked at NO VIDEO. Now that the camera was on, it didn’t detect it. So I tried closing and reopening VST Pro. But that didn’t work. So then I tried Repair Config. Still nothing. So, the conclusion is the camera has to be on before I even open Nuendo!

Yep, just confirmed that. I closed and reopened Nuendo with the VST Pro App open and it instantly saw the camera and gave me the option to select it. So, there’s my first tip to anybody in line behind me. :wink:

1 Like

Exactly, video inputs are scanned once when activating VST Connect.

Just for the sake of a little more clarity. The video inputs are scanned when instantiating the plugin, not simply activating it. If the vid cam is plugged in after instantiation, then simply deactivating/activating the plugin won’t get it working. You’ll need to remove the VST Connect plugin and reload it.

@Keyplayer I know you run a commercial studio, so I’d be happy to run a session with you to go through some of the nuances. As I’ve said many times, it’s an awesome tool, once you’ve got your head around it. Send me a PM. I’m in the UK but often working late.

1 Like