Help w/ Notation Options

hi guys
I am notating an original piece. It’s in 6/8 but polyrhythm against 2/4 (2:3 LH:RH) for solo piano.
My problem is with notation options, I have tried everything under both beam grouping and note grouping but
a lot of my notes get slurred for no apparent reason it and looks bad cosmetically and hard to read for the player
I am attaching a picture

as you can see the issue is that the 16th notes get slurred instead of writing just a normal 1/8 note, this happens many times during the piece.
Normally I always tick “split beam in the middle of the beat” (I mostly write in 2/4) but I would like the right hand to “behave” like 2/4 and not connect anywhere else than the middle of the beat if needed unticking all “splitting” and “connecting” does not affect anything in this case.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am running Dorico 3.0 pro
thank you for your help
best regards

see here and here

Hi Chummy, those aren’t slurs but instead ties (denoting a single note that splits a beat boundary or barline).

Depending on the scale of your piece, you can of course use force duration as Menaggen suggests, but I wonder if there could be something that would work at a higher level. Can you share your project as a zip file - perhaps just a version of it that contains around 10 bars demonstrating the style? If you apply the Silence playback template before zipping, the file size will be much smaller.

I’m not sure anything in Notation Options is helpful in this instance.
What you could do, though, is add and hide a time signature of [6+6]/16 or [3+3+3+3]/16 in bar 2, which would mean you only had to use Force Duration for the bar 1.

I didn’t suggest only to use force duration, but also to change notation options. (all is explained in the links)

Perhaps we would understand better if you provided some explanation rather than just two links.

Here are some options to consider.
beamingOptions.zip (462 KB)

thank you for your answers guys, I will definitely check out the force duration feature when I get home, I haven’t used it yet!
Yeah Lillie I know those are ties , I have been using both terms interchangeably since I was under the impression that in English you can use one to refer to either now I learned something new :slight_smile: sorry for the misunderstanding
The whole piece is in 6/8 time signature and it’s better to convert it to 2/4 meter , those dotted 8th notes look weird on the LH and 2/4 meter is the stronger feeling overall. How would you suggest to convert the project in the most efficient way without having to re-write everything?
I do use the Insert function a lot! and I was thinking of notating it similarly to what Chopin did in Fantasie Imprumptu (six note tuplets etc. and common time) since want consistency in using same time signature for both hands at the same time.
Not sure if I should use the hidden time signature thing too in one of the staves or something to achieve that. What I’m looking to do is exactly what Derrek illustrated in the file he sent me (dear god that took you so much time and effort, why thank you!) with the exception of notating it in a uniform time sig of 2/4 and not two different ones.
Thank you again everyone!

Triplets in the RH over quavers in the LH is probably a good compromise (I’d suggest 2 sets of triplets per bar rather than one set of sextuplets so the beat division is clear). For the RH material you want to make triplets, it “should” be as simple as activating Insert mode, selecting the notes you want to be inside triplets, pressing ; to open the tuplets popover, and entering 3:2e (for 3 eighth notes in the space of 2).

once again I’d like to thank all of you guys who helped!
After thinking about it I decided to revert back to 6/8 time signature (since there is an undeniable “triple” as in 3 count feel more so than the 2/4 march) and used the tuplet menu to fix the left hand for duplets while using force duration to iron out minor issues with note grouping (works great btw). The score looks amazing now, just as how I wanted it to become in my head. This piece is already recorded and done btw. this one is taking me much longer but I’ve learned sooo many new functions and know how regarding to working with Dorico throughout it so I’d say worth it!