Help with Alesis SR16 synch

Hello,

I am trying/hoping to us an Alesis SR16 drum machine to record some demos. I am a relative novice when it comes to the world of MIDI as I have always just used direct recording of instruments or used microphones.

My setup:
Cubase Artist 9.5
2016 MacBook Pro with High Sierra OS 10.13.6
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre audio interface with thunderbolt cables

I connected both Clarett’s MIDI input and output to the respective output and input for the SR16 with brand new MIDI cables.

The SR16 MIDI menu is set up as:

1. MIDI CH = OMNI
  2. DRUM IN = OFF
  3. DRUM OUT = ON
  4. NOTES Menu - I left unaltered.
  5. CLOCKIN = ON
  6. CLOCKOUT = OFF
  7. MIDITHRU = OFF
  8. PRG CHANGE = OFF
  9. NOTE MAP = NORMAL

I went to into Transport > Project Synchronization Setup menu.
Internal Timecode is selected.
I have the Clarett selected in the “MIDI Clock Destinations” with “MIDI Clock follows Project Position” and “Always Send Start Message” selected.

I am wanting to set up a track to record the whatever program or preset I am utilizing on the SR16. Additionally, I want the tempo established in the project to be sent to the SR16 to control the tempo on the drum machine. So, if I enable the track to record and push start it will automatically start the SR16 and track to the set temp inside Cubase. Is this possible? I would assume so. I am just at loggerheads.

Do I need to use a MIDI track or a regular audio track? Does it matter? I have a 1/4" audio cable from the left output of the SR16 going into Ch. 1 on the Clarett.

If I set up a regular mono imput/stereo output channel, I can hear the drum machine when started manually (with monitor on). But arming the record on the channel, and then hitting record on the transport bar - nothing happens, the drum machine does not start. I can record the drum machine by manually starting the drum machine, but there is no synch to the click.

What am I doing wrong or overlooking?

My thanks and gratitude in advance!

1 Like

Hi Greendc30
I have an SR 16 thru a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 to Cubase 10

I’m a MIDI rookie myself, but Trans…Synch… Setup in the Destinations tab I checked

MIDI Clock Destinations 2- Focusrite USB MIDI

MIDI Clock Prefs MIDI Clock follows project
Send Start Message

MIDI Timecode destinations
2-Focusrite USB MIDI

MIDI Timecode Prefs
MIDI Timecode Follows Project Time
Voila

1 Like