Help With Audio Warping

Hi,
Is there a Cubase 8 video on audio warping? One that shows both quantizing a track or range of audio all together, and how to do small custom adjustments. I looked on Youtube, but couldn’t find a version 8 video.

I copy little sections (ranges) of an original audio track, and stitch them together to create a finalized track. When I try to adjust one of these little sections, I get the error “No tempo editing possible, tempo track is switched off”. I don’t think I need a tempo track, the whole project is one tempo.

What causes this error?
How do I know if audio quantizing was applied or not?
Does quantizing audio of a track that was duplicated, automatically create a new version of the audio?

Is there a way to copy and paste a range of an audio track, such that the pasted audio is given a new version?

Thanks
Out of Time in Texas

I get the error “No tempo editing possible, tempo track is switched off”. I don’t think I need a tempo track, the whole project is one tempo.
What causes this error?

Sounds like you are trying to use the wrong feature.

You need to use the audiowarp quantise not the timewarp function to quantise events and for small adjustments just open the editor and select freewarp on the left and manually drag the warp markers where you want them.

How do I know if audio quantizing was applied or not?

if you can’t tell any difference then maybe it didn’t need quantising in the first place but you can see the warp markers will all be precisely on the grid of you open the editor.

Does quantizing audio of a track that was duplicated, automatically create a new version of the audio?

No…dependent on preference…see below.

Is there a way to copy and paste a range of an audio track, such that the pasted audio is given a new version?

There may be a key modifier to do this but I’ve lost track of what it is…I set the preference for On processing shared clips to create new which has the same end result for my use.

Hi,
So I’ve watched a bunch of tutorials… on audio warping, and one on time stretching.

Here’s what I want to do - I am recording me finger picking a guitar. I know here and there I am off beat. I want Cubase to align ALL of notes to the beat. I “thought” (that gets me into trouble sometimes) that was the purpose of audio warping.

The help file says: Warping is a term used to describe the realtime time stretching of a selected section of audio. Warping is generally used to correct the tempo or timing of audio.

That seems like what I want. 1) It doesn’t seem to work very well. What’s worse is: AFTER I set the hitpoints and apply the audio warp, then I need to clean some places I don’t think it worked. Then I get the error about the tempo track.

HELP…See Attached

Thanks
VmusicV

I watched a video on TIME WARP…that’s NOT what I want.

I don’t want to change the time/or tempo of the song to match what I played.

I want to change (correct) the audio to match a fixed time…BUT HOW??? HELP???

You may need to cut and time stretch the original audio manually. It just takes some time and finesse.

PM me and send the track. I do this type of thing quite often. I may be able to help.

I watched a video on TIME WARP…that’s NOT what I want.

Which is why I said:

You need to use the audiowarp quantise not the timewarp function to quantise events

To make a better job of audiowarp quantise BEFORE you carry out the quantise open up the editor and use hitpoints threshold to set hitpoints. Then run through the track and move hitpoints that look to be in the wrong place.
Then Audiowarp quantise as before. Unless you have something really transient like drum hits the hitpoint detection can be a bit sloppy

To change a point after you have run audiowarp quantise open the editor and select freewarp and move the markers around…didn’t I say that already too :wink:

NB: You don’t need to run quantise before freewarp…if you only have a couple notes to move just use freewarp and do it manually…just bear in mind you need to place multiple warp tabs to lock position of other notes that you don’t want moved…you’ll soon see how this works of you try it.