Help with external instrument

Help!!! trying to setup an external instrument…

midi is going to the device and the device is playing as I can see it in the RME mixer but cubase is not routing the audio back to the instrument track. Direct monitoring is switched off. I’ve tried with monitor button on and off, rec enable for the track is on…

I tested:
If I make a separate midi track and in vst connections select the input where the instrument is coming into the soundcard (the same input I have selected in external instruments, when setting it up that way) as a normal input, then I hear the audio from the instrument coming into cubase fine, which means the setting for the routing of the soundcard in Totalmix is fine…

why don’t I hear that input when it is selected as a VST instrument? is it some simple setting I’m missing?

Probably the limitation of an Instrument track!

Use a MIDI track to control your external, and an Audio track to record its output back into Cubase. Instrument tracks are really for VSTi use. :sunglasses:

is it muted ? have you got the monitor button on ? are your audio returns setup and selected correctly ?

external instrument tracks work very well if you want to add plugin’s on the audio in’s ,been using them for years :wink:

not muted and monitor button switched on…

the correct audio returns are selected in ‘external instrument’ panel…

really weird, feels like it should work because the audio is coming into that channel, I can see on the soundcard mixer, I’ve checked when the audio return is chosen as a normal input and monitored on a track then I can hear the instrument. Why can’t I hear it when it is chosen as a return for the instrument?

I haven’t tried to use ‘external instruments’ before but looks like a really good feature, streamlining audio and midi into 1 track… if only it would work!

It’s à “bad” routing in the RME total Mix

Have you checked the levels in the Matrix View in TotalMix. Just to make sure that whilst the signal is being received it is also being sent. This is made easier if you open both the mixer and matrix window. Then you can see more easily where the problem might be. TotalMix can be a little more complicated than I would like.

The levels are coming into TotalMix, but I can’t hear them in Cubase when the ‘device port’ (in his case Analog 8) is chosen for an external instrument. With the VST connections window still open if I then go to the ‘inputs’ tab and choose Analog 8 as a mono input (which takes it away from the external instrument) then I can hear it through Cubase (with an audio track monitoring that input).

How should TotalMix be setup? I’m not too sure what you mean when you say; make sure the signal that is being received is also being sent. Where should I be sending it to? If I send it to the main outputs I can hear it, but the audio is still not going into the instrument channel in Cubase…

strange thing I found, when I select the inputs in the ‘external instrument’ tab they become red in the drop down list. If I select them in the ‘inputs’ tab they stay black… hmmm what does this mean?

Actually you can not do any routing (not “bad”, not “good” not “wrong” or “right”) in Totalmix that would keep a signal on the input from getting into Cubase…

simply RT(F)M - an instrument loaded into an instrument track must have a stereo output as first output.

thanks for everyone’s replies… I did read the manual btw, I wouldn’t post something if I could work it out from the manual…

So a mono external instrument will work in the instrument rack but not as an instrument track… (which it doesn’t say in the manual clearly)

It says just that very clearly…

Hmm - clear as mud