Help with MIDI keyboard

Hello. I have searched the forums and followed the recommendations with no success. I have a MIDI keyboard connected to my Windows 11 computer running Dorico Pro 4. I am using a Focusrite usb soundcard which is passing audio via Dorico on playback and mouse note entry with no problems. I am using a separate USB - MIDI interface plugged into my computer which shows the MIDI in signal present on the interface. Dorico is also showing the green MIDI indication when I play my keyboard but no notes record when the carrot is ready. I have looked in the Play preferences and all is set as it should be. Help! I am at my witts end about this. Everything indicates that it should be working. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking!

System specs:
Windows 11 PC
Intel i5
32 GB RAM
Focusrite Scarlett solo
Teninyu USB-MIDI converter
Studiologic SL-990 MIDI controller keyboard
Dorico Pro 4
NotePerformer plugin

If you go to preferences > play > midi input devices, is your keyboard enabled? It could be that Dorico is aware that midi signals are coming in but choosing to ignore them because the keyboard is not activated.

Welcome to the forum, Jason. Sorry to hear you’ve been having problems with MIDI input! Can you do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here? It may give us some clues as to what’s going on.

Romanos,

Thank you for your fast reply and for your help! Interestingly enough, the MIDI keyboard doesn’t show up in the list. It just says USB MIDI input which I am thinking is the USB to MIDI adaptor. I attached a picture so you can see what I am seeing.
Thanks again for your willingness to help, I really appreciate it!

Screenshot

Hello and thank you for your fast reply and your willingness to help me out. Here is the diagnostic Zip file…

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (560.1 KB)

It’s OK that your keyboard itself doesn’t appear in the list if it’s connected via a MIDI adaptor – and if you’re seeing the green activity indicator light up in the bottom right-hand corner of the window, everything should be working.

Thank you. I completely agree. I am baffled as to why it will not enter notes or pass audio. All indications show that it should be working.
Thanks again for your efforts on my behalf.

From the diagnostics, I can’t see any notes being auditioned. Are you hearing the notes echoed back to you when you play them on your MIDI keyboard? If so, is the sound coming from your MIDI keyboard, or is the sound coming from Dorico?

I make sure all my connections are correct. I open Dorico, I can playback audio when I enter notes via the mouse, I hear audio. Playback works fine. When I play my keyboard I see the MIDI status light showing it is receiving MIDI in Dorico but I hear no sound. I know, it’s so strange.

Is there a setting I’m missing to audition notes? It’s possible I’m missing something in the settings but I don’t think I am. Thanks again for your help.

Is “MIDI Thru” set to active in Preferences/Playback?

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to look and help. MIDI Thru is selected.

OK All. I have fixed the problem. I want to thank all of you for taking the time to respond. You will smile at the issue and say I didn’t tell you this part and you would be correct. I had a y splitter coming out of my keyboard to split the MIDI signal to my Dorico PC and to my DAW on my Mac. I unplugged the splitter and viola! It works! I really appreciate the support in the forum. Thank you again to all of you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot. I’ll just have to do it the old fashioned way and switch between plugs depending on where I need the MIDI signal to go.
All the best to you and thanks again!

1 Like