Help with mono recording

Hey everyone.

I’m new to Cubase and have an audio question.

I have just recorded a MONO acoustic guitar track. When I check the stereo field it has everything going to the left and the phase is down the middle at 0 in StereoToolV3. When I reduce the width to zero in StereoToolV3 I get an actual mono signal and the phase is at +1. I’m not sure why I have to do this to seemingly get an actual mono track from a mono recording…Every other DAW I’ve worked in has automatically had the track going straight down the middle and at +1 phase but it seems I have to force my mono recordings with StereoTools to actually be mono.

Is there any chance I have something set up incorrectly in my VST Connections? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Still trying to wrap my head around everything in this DAW. Thanks!

Did you set up a Mono Input in VST Connections and choose it as the Input for the track?

Inspector.PNG

If your Vst connections are set correctly, try recording your mono source to a stereo audio track. It will still record a mono file but stereo vst’s will work better.

For me, I never record my mono sources to mono audio tracks because of the above noted issue.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Prock, I mean you no disrespect and I´m not going to get into an argument but I often see you post on here about recording mono onto a stereo track.
If it works for you fine but this is bad advice (for a number of reasons) to be giving to newbies at recording.

You have recorded a mono signal onto a stereo track from a stereo input, not a mono track Record mono signals on mono tracks, or as Prock says, recors mono input busses to a stereo track.

Record mono sources to mono tracks, when you want to use true stereo effects route to stereo groups or send to stereo effect channels.

Ok…

It’s just a suggestion that users can try (or not).
I really am interested to know your (and other users) thoughts on this matter. I’m going to start a pro/con discussion of this topic in the Stenberg Lounge. I hope I learn something and hope you chime in.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Yes, I will gladly chime in my friend. I´m on a different time zone to you so will try and give you my reasons tomorrow.
:slight_smile:

Hey Prock. That was exactly what I needed to do. I just came back to this forum post about three months later and had actually started doing this a few days after the post I made. Glad to know I wasn’t going completely crazy trying to use a “mono” track. :laughing:

Just in case anyone sees this thank you for the help everyone! I did figure out what to do a couple of days after posting this question. I figured I would have gotten an email saying people replied. I appreciate everyone’s time. Cheers!