Help! Yamaha Steinberg ASIO driver with Cubase

I have an original version Steinberg UR-22 Audio Interface (not MKII). I have had problems off and on with Cubase on startup asking me which ASIO driver I want, a Generic Low Latency ASIO or the Yamaha Steinberg ASIO. If I select the Yamaha Steinberg, it says it can’t find it, so all I’m left with is choosing the Generic.

When I look at Studio/Audio Connections the UR-22 stereo outs show. I can access the dropdown menu under “Audio Device,” but my only options are “Not Connected” or “Generic Low Latency ASIO.”

I downloaded the most recent Yamaha Steinberg ASIO driver and installed it. I confirmed that the UR-22 is now using that just-installed driver. I’ve restarted the computer. But Cubase does exactly the same thing, as if the Yamah driver is not even there.

I do get Cubase Audio using the generic driver, but I’m not sure I’m getting all the benefits of the driver specifically designed for my Steinberg Audio Interface. Anyway, you would think the driver specifically designed by Yamaha Steinberg for Yamaha Steinberg products would work with Cubase.

Suggestions?

Yes, you should get the best results from the dedicated Yamaha driver. If you can’t get it to work I’ve found that the ASIO4ALL driver is actually better than the Generic Low Latency but that’s not as good as the Yamaha one…

When I once had issues with the Yamaha driver I uninstalled it and then re-installed. Might be worth a try if you haven’t already done this.

The latest version is listed as the best one for your audio device so it should work.

The link below also gives some earlier versions which again might be worth trying if nothing else works.

Thanks planarchist. I’ll try the uninstall/reinstall option first and post the outcome here in case others run into the same problem.

I’m curious if there’s any UR-22 users who are successfully running the latest Yamaha driver in the current version of Cubase 9.5 (or some older version). I wonder if using the newer Mark II U-22 eliminates this problem.

It may not be relevant but FWIW I use the even older Steinberg CI2+ and a not quite so old Yamaha TH5 with that newest set of drivers with no problems.

I had the UR22 mk 1 running on Cubase Elements 9.5 with no problems.
Does the driver work if you use any standalone Vsti or other Daws?
Is the steinberg ur22 midi interface showing in the devices section of cubase?
I would try connecting the UR22 to another USB port and make sure the front led is not flashing but just glowing white.

The problem is that Cubase doesn’t even see the Steinberg ASIO driver, only the Generic Low Latency driver. The Generic one works, but I would prefer that Cubase saw the correct, current Steinberg driver, the idea being it’s probably more efficient.

The connections and the light all work fine.

Thanks for your comments, Mark.

I am finally going to get a chance to uninstall/reinstall Cubase as suggested above, but before I do, I just want to make sure this will leave all my files and preferences intact. Will it?

It was the driver I was suggesting uninstalling (and then re-installing), not Cubase itself. The problem is likely with the driver, not Cubase.

You have the latest Yamaha USB driver installed, right? If not, try here:

You could try to reinitialise cubase

open the run box (win key+r) type this path: %appdata%/Steinberg
Find the cubase 9.5 folder and rename it. (Add something like old to the name)

Restart cubase and it will create a new settings folder hopefully finding your UR22 interface, if not just rename the folder back to its original state.

Most definitely I do. That was one of the first things I did.

Ah, I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying.

Hm. Removed device, uninstalled driver, reinstalled driver. Launched Cubase. Still shows only driver option as Generic Low Latency Driver.

I suppose so long as things are working I might as well leave it as it is. If I start getting performance issues, I can deal with it then. Thanks for everyone’s help.

1 Like

Very strange. Do you see an error on the device in the Windows Control Panel?

Here’s some screenshots.

Cubase Audio Connections dialogue showing the generic driver assigned. (Unfortunately I can’t capture the Cubase Audio Connections dropdown box, but trust me my only options are “Not Connected” and “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver.”)

Windows 10 Device Manager, Properties, Driver showing the Yamaha Steinberg Driver installed.

Windows 10 Device Manager, Properties, Events showing a log of the installation. Not sure what it all means. I noticed Event log entries on the attempts I made prior to uninstalling/reinstalling the driver included Event messages like “device not migrated.” Have no idea what that means, or if it’s relevant.

“Device not migrated” suggests a driver incompatibility error I think. I certainly don’t have those messages.

What shows in your ASIO set-up section, is the option there for the Yamaha driver?

Is there any other sound card in the computer (even an onboard chip)? If so is this other sound unit being used for default Windows sounds?

Have you tried downloading the ASIO4ALLdriver? It won’t solve this issue but often gives lower latency than the Generic Low Latency driver.

Hi DaddyO

Could you send a screen shot from the Studio → Studio Setup window?

Check this link to the Cubase manual: ASIO Driver Setup

I believe you may be looking in the wrong place for your asio driver selection as the screen shots you’ve sent are not the correct ones for ASIO and it is showing you haven’t selected it in the ASIO control panel. I would just liek to see if it is there.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Bing! Bang! Boom! That was the problem. Fixed now.

Thanks SO MUCH! And thanks to all who offered their help.

Another happy customer. Glad you got it working.

Thanks again. I’m not sure when the menu structure for getting to the ASIO setting changed, but I think that’s what threw me. I’ve been away from my desktop for six months because it was packed away in storage two thousand miles away. It’s my only computer capable of running Cubase, so I’ve been away from the software that long. When you’re 63 you need all the help you can get remembering things!