Hermode and custom scales

About Hermode Tuning, anyone knows when Steinberg will start doing it better?

“Btw: In contrast to Apple-Logic, with Cubase actually (December 2012) it isn’t possible to change the Master Tune (A = 440 Hz) to a higher or deeper level. As it may be that Steinberg will relieve this shortcoming occasionally and as it could happen that this will be done by a separate message, please study from time to time the publications of Steinberg. – In abstract the change of Master Tune could be added to the Detune parameter so that no additional message would be required, but in the end Steinberg has to decide how to handle this.”

Another smart step would be implementation In microtuner 1000 steps per semitone instead of 100 to give us finer control and to build custom scales like bach-lehmann.

But, Hermode tuning does not depend on, or modify, the master tuning of the VST instruments. It tunes the pitches to the other sounding pitches relatively, on the fly, to get closer to pure intonation. So you can change the master tuning of the VSTi, and Hermode tuning will still do its job.

You can set the master tuning of your VSTs to the same value for A, say A=444 or A=435, to achieve that.

Note that Hermode and micro tuning only work with VST instruments that support it.

As far as having higher resolution in the microtuner, 100 cents is enough to cover the temperament you mentioned, but the difficulty of using the mircotuner in Cubase to do that is that you are starting out from equal temperament. So you would have to first set the microtuner to Pure Major, for example, and then adjust from there. Not an ideal tool.

Halion does have a Tuning Scale facility that is a good tool imo for this, and it can import Scala files also. See Scala scale file (.scl) format for an amazing amount of info and resources for playing with tunings.

Would like to see implementation of hermode tuning option mandatory in the next VST version. If you are using it, it is useless if one of your plugins don’t use it.

I would love to see every VST support Cubase’s microtuning and Hermode tuning, but it would be an amazing feat for Steinberg to actually force 3rd party developers to implement the necessary functionality. I would not get my hopes up about that. :frowning:

At the Hermonode developer website you can find more information about this “problem”.

http://www.hermode.com/html/developer_en.html

About the microtuner can you deviate from equal temperament +2.9 or even -0.05 needed for some baroque temperaments?

Thanks

flaviusr, May I ask what you are trying to achieve precisely?

Sure!

Do you read all the link? ---- http://www.hermode.com/html/developer_en.html

What do you understand of that?

I want that at least all the steinberg virtual instruments allow me to use A=432 with hermode and able to create custom scales temperaments with flexibility of 0.1 cents changes. (Better 0.01.

Example of Bach-Lehman scale changes from equal temperament:
1 -5.9
2 - 3.9
3- 2
4- 3.9
5- -2
6- 7.8
7- 2
8- 3.9
9- 3.9
10- 0
11- 3.9
12- 0

I have read it. It describes the commands used by Logic and Cubase to send pitch tuning commands, and at the end discusses what you are addressing, that Cubase doesn’t provide a command to globally adjust what A is set to, as in a=440 or A=432 or whatever.

I want that at least all the steinberg virtual instruments allow me to use A=432 with hermode

If you use VSTs that support Hermode tuning, from whatever vendor, you would set the master tune of each of them to A=432. And then you can do that.

So as for your original FR, Cubase already allows you to set your VSTs to A=432 and use Hermode tuning.

As for having less than one cent increments, hey- if it can be done, great. I won’t complain.

In my view a proper tool for playing with temperaments electronically would be something like Halion or Kontakt in conjunction with Scala .scl files.

The microtuner can get really really close though, looking at the table you provided.

As for having less than one cent increments, hey- if it can be done, great. I won’t complain.

Yes, it can be done and is very important for me and many others.

e microtuner can get really really close though, looking at the table you provided.

Very closer is not enough.

Cubase already allows you to set your VSTs to A=432 and use Hermode tuning.

It´s very hard to work in a project when you want a timbre that cannot sing the same note at the same tuning then other timbres. Very limiting.

Scala is great, but has the same issue when you need another timbre that doesn´t use it. Like if I need to add a Padshop timbre… how to make it work? If I could use microtuner for that would be great.

Thanks for your time and patience.