Hey guys. So what's new? Upgrading from SX3. Dinosaur.

Are you really in need of something more than what SX3 can do, or just Bi-Curious about Cubase 7? :smiley:

Excellent information. Thank you Fabio!

Good point. I’ve been mulling over just doing a fresh install of XP/SC3 and all necessary apps on the old box. But it’s 10 years old and seems like a time waster…fresh hardware would be nice.

Does UFEI BIOS with boot security and GPT format disks cause any salivation?

Surely this “system” you refer to does not use PATA drives and DDR2 RAM?

Does it have an AGP slot? On board math co-processor with cache?

What about USB, is it version 1.0a?

This is not to mention PCI 2.3 for low voltage add-in cards, which was a major revision but rare to find any actual peripherals that supported it, maybe the Emu systems with onboard reverb.

If all these things make you froth at the mouth, then yes you are a dino

Not necessarily a ‘time waster’ as long as it will accomplish what you need it to do. I believe there’s value in keeping what you have, which is not measure in dollars alone, but what the system & software is worth to you having/keeping and it’s continued use…of course what you ‘save’ is also what you’re not spending.

I’m in a similar boat as you. I never felt Cubase was the limiting factor, only my computer’s resources with VSTi’s. Instead of upgrading, I found a fairly cheap solution by outsourcing my VSTi’s to run on another machine, my own problem solved for the foreseeable future.

Cubase 7 is still on ebay for $399.00 though, and with a new computer it may be the last build you’ll ever do.

Until what, the fan bearings wear out?

I’d say you have accomplished what many would like but have not been able (like myself) which is distributed computing for audio.