Hey guys! Trying out the demo and I have some questions

I am on an i7-6700k, 32 GB ram, SSDs, nVidia 1060 3GB and an RME Digiface.

I absolutely love the workspace of Dorico, I find it very clean and inspiring. Easy to concentrate on the music.

Apart for some (expected) workflow differences from Sibelius 6 that I’ve been using for a very long time (that I don’t give much thought to), there is one thing that saddened me a bit. Dorico seems a bit “ponderous”(?) “slow”(?) at times.

For example, when giving the key command for dotted note, some time passes until the note is dotted on the screen. The same when dragging around 8va lines. It’s a bit choppy moving things around. All this happens in a very simple score of around 18 bars, with two players, one of which is one instrument only, the other player two instruments.

Is this expected behavior? Is something wrong on my end? Am I missing some files?(redistributables maybe? Though the installation did install some?) Maybe I need a newer driver for the graphics card? I still have many days on the demo, so if something’s wrong I could use some advice, because I want to make sure the demo indeed represents how Dorico performs.

Thank you in advance.

About the delays, could be fixed and maybe not in my cases these delays how up once a while depending on the project and VSTs loaded! I have reported several already.

Here is what I have learned in the past few months:

1. The sample size of your interface shouldn’t be either too small or too large.
  2. Of course, using a better system helps, but your system is way above the minimum requirements. I suppose you have check you’ve installed the latest drivers.

I am pretty new to Dorico as well. Of course, the pro users can comment better.
I don’t think anyone had more issues ( except I suppose testing engineers and developers) with Dorico more than me here!

With the functionalities that Dorico offers, I cannot think of any other notation software and never go back to Finale (except for import-export of my old compositions) again.

Hey Chikitin! :smiley:

That’s very useful to know. Even though I’m on 256 buffers, I’ll test without my Digiface (no ASIO) and see if performance is improved. I can do without playback.

Thank you very much for your advice!

These sorts of delays are definitely not typical for your specs and project size, for the record. Sample size shouldn’t have an effect on delay in note input.

Could you share the project file here? It doesn’t sound like that’s the issue, but worth trying.

Try unplugging your MIDI device temporarily and see if speed improves. I believe there was an issue regarding continuous commands that was fixed in 3.5.11, but worth a try.

:+1:t3:

Ah yes, thank you! Another thing to check that I didn’t think of! I have a midi keyboard connected, and it could very probably be sending all kinds of CC junk on its own.

I will not be able to upload the project for at least the next 3-4 hours as I am not at the computer running Dorico at the moment, but I will as soon as I’m able.

Thank you very much @dan_kreider, sir!