Hidden time

Hi, on Finale it is very easy to enter this time signature, as you can see from the image.
Perhaps the indication escaped me from the manual, but I have not found it.
How can I recreate it on Dorico?
Thank you…

Salve, su Finale è molto semplice inserire questa indicazione di tempo, come si vede dall’immagine.
Forse l’indicazione mi è sfuggita dal manuale, però non l’ho trovata.
Come posso ricrearla su Dorico?
Grazie…

If you want a 2/4 bar with 4 crotchets, type Shift-M to open the popover, then enter 2/4,4.

Si può farlo con un ‘anacrusis’. Fare “2/4,4” nel popover. Per continuare, fare 4/4, nascosto.

Ma…

Thanks, using Shift-M and 2 / 4.4 it worked … :slight_smile:

Thank you too.
The indication, however, is repeated every few bars and not only at the beginning of the piece.

You could achieve the result by inputting a normal 2/4 time signature and deleting any barlines you don’t want. However, I’m curious at the intention behind this? What is it you’re wanting to achieve, as there might be a better way?

Yes, I’ll show you: the score is from the 1700s and at that time it was normal for there to be this kind of tempo changes along the scores (even without giving any indications that I have marked them here in red).
Greetings…

Are you simply wanting to input another time signature partway through a piece? Like this? When you say “tempo” do you mean “meter”?

Yes, but not as she put it in the answer.
In practice the time of 2/4 is visible, but there are 4 quarter notes as if it were in time of 4/4.

In that case, for extended periods of lots of consecutive bars that you want to appear as 2/4 but have 4 quarter note beats, I would input the 2/4 time signature, input a 4/4 time signature after 4 beats in 2/4, delete the barline at the start of the 2nd 2/4 bar. This will split multi-bar rests in the parts for any players resting at that point though.

(If you want cut common time, you can have that instead too - the popover entry is cutc)

Are you sure the hooks in the 2/4 bar are rests? They could be (old notation), but at first sight I wouldn’t rule out they are actually ties. When I encounter this kind of ambiguity, I want to check the other parts. It could even be a copyist’s error.

They are correct, this is the basso continuo part, but at the same points the violins and oboes also have a similar tempo change.

To be honest I find it much easier to insert Shift-M 2 / 4.4 when needed, rather than doing as you tell me. … :slight_smile:

You’re under no obligation to follow one set of advice or another, we simply offer alternatives and suggestions in the hopes that at least one is helpful. (Just remember you need to separate the pick-up from the time signature with a comma, not a full stop - i.e. “2/4,4”)

Of course!
Thank God that you are there !!! :slight_smile:

Ma certo!
Grazia a Dio che ci siete !!! :slight_smile: