hide clefs & key signatures at the beginning of staves

Then I think this is the easiest from my perspective. Spares you to think about a) entering the right pitches (other than written) and b) hide all the accidentals.

It would be a trick working with this particular piece and key, but not on a more general level (what if you also have an F timpani?). Of the various workarounds, the one of hiding accidentals selected via the Filter Pitch command, in a No Key type of independent staff, is the one that is convincing me more. Being able to hide the key signature (and, in general, everything appearing on page) would be my preferred, cleanest solution.

Paolo

As this still seems without any easy solution, I add an example of a score where I could use the function.
SUCCESS — 2nd Cornet.pdf (885.9 KB)

Check Notation Options …

Barlines

Clefs

Key Sigs

Done!

1 Like

Seems like the solution is to wait for my bank accounts to fill up a little, and the buy an update … This is not to be found in Dorico 3.5 – I suppose you have Dorico 4?

Yeah, this is in D4. I can’t remember if it’s new to 4 or not, but if you aren’t seeing those settings it must be.

These are indeed new features in Dorico 4.

Hi.
For an educational exercise, I need to hide the key signature of only one staff on the page, but I have to keep the space from the clef to the time signature, so the student can write the key signature there.
How do I do that?
Thank you.

This may do it:

1 Like

Hi. That doesn’t work because it doesn’t hide the key signature and apparently you cannot move the key signature nor the time signature.

Apologies - I thought you had taken care of the key signature but not the note spacing.

To hide a clef: Shift+N > Shift+C > Type Invisible

To hide a time signature: Select it > Properties > tick Hide time signature

No problem.
This doesn’t do it either. The idea is not to hide the clef nor the time signature, but to hide the key signature.
I would like a space between the blank key signature and the time signature, so the student can write the key signature. If I put C Major, there is no such a space.

Yeah, I’m an idiot.

I can think of a couple of ways to do that. If you don’t need triple flats or triple sharps in your exercise, you can edit your tonality system to redefine one of those elements to just be a bunch of blank spaces. Then create a Custom Key Sig using the blank elements:

When applied, it then appears like a blank space between the clef and meter:

You can also just used a dashed barline with the dash length set to 0. Enter the meter after the “invisible” barline and scale the whole rest down to 1%:

1 Like

Probably easiest to export a PDF and open it in a vector drawing app, and then just delete the object you don’t want. I dare say that this approach will be useful for other worksheet situations.

Inkscape, Affinity Designer, Adobe Illustrator, or other apps will work well. You may need to ‘ungroup’ things before you can select individual items.

Hi. Thanks for the tips. Looking at what you achieved, it should work.
However, I haven’t figured out how to do it in both methods.

For the custom key signature, how do you transform the bbb into blank spaces?

For the dashed barline, how do you set the dash length to 0?
PS: if I change custom scale in this situation, it affects the time signature instead of the barline.

Thank you.