Hide dashed 8va and loco lines?

I’d like to see a way to hide the line for when “8va” is wanted above just one note or chord. Including the line looks a little odd. See attached.
8va-one-note.png

1 Like

That seems like it’d be REALLY confusing, since wtihout reading way ahead there’d be no way of knowing if the 8va was on the one note or there was a loco way ahead.

In piano music, an 8 placed below a single bass note without a va or dashed line following it means col ottava (add the lower octave) for that one note. Does Dorico handle this notation?

Not semantically. It’s a matter of a minute’s work to set it up as a custom playing technique though.

Thanks, pianoleo.

Hi Daniel! Another reason for an 8va sign without a line could be if you have a section between repeats and you want the second “round” up the octave, in which case having a line through the whole section would be unnecessarily obtrusive. Instead it could be better simply to state ‘seconda volta 8va’ at the start. Thanks for your work!

So, I don’t think there is any way to prevent 8va lines from printing as ghost lines… I tried setting scale to 1, tried setting color to white and opacity to 0…nothing worked…but I have seemingly made the 8va lines disappear for printing by selecting all 8va lines, going to engrave mode, setting Y offset to a very high number like 10,000 … the reason I’m doing this is because I can’t find any other way to make harp harmonics play at the octave above where written!!! I know there’s a thread about creating an expression map for harp harmonics, but that affects all harp notes when using Noteperformer, so if LH of harp is doing harmonics, and RH is not, the custom playing expression will make LH and RH both transpose up an octave…

Of course the ideal solution is to have harp harmonics adjusted by the VST to sound an octave higher than notated, and since Arne @Wallander is currently working on a new version of Note Performer, this would be a good time to flag him with this request.

Not if you use independent voice playback:

Our position is that transposition is a visual feature of western notation that should be managed on the layout level. Not the least because there’s a school of thought notating harmonics at written pitch, particularly for non-harp instruments.

Here are two suggestions on how Dorico could add support. Either as a transpose feature next to “velocity” in the playback settings of the note, or as an octave/8va switch under harmonics.

1 Like

thanks @johnkprice for this workaround solution! I will try it out. Dorico team is this the recommended action for enabling harp harmonics to sound 8va? Independent voice playback, along with customizing the expression map?

Ottavas without lines are used in accordion music when attached to register marks. I got stuck with this problem while preparing the score for an ensemble that features the instrument.

Any workaround by now?

I can’t think of a good one, no.

Could you perhaps create a new playing technique for the 8ve (with no continuation line) and connect it to a playback technique that triggers an octave shift in your expression map?

I am trying to get rid of the dashed line after loco too. 8va has the dashed line so that the player knows how far that instruction lasts.

Loco usually is there as a reminder / confirmation that the 8va has ended. Puts it beyond doubt.

There are a few cases where loco does need the dashed line.

So as per someones suggestion above, why not add a ‘hide dashed line’ option to the control / inspector panel.

1 Like

You can just write loco as staff text.

Thanks. That’s an OK solution.

Perhaps the feature will be added sometime.