Hide dashed 8va and loco lines?

Is there a way to properly hide the dashed lines that come with 8va/vb and loco markings? Currently I only seem to be able to drag the handle in Engrave mode which feels a little “wrong” (and also it doesn’t completely hide the lines).

Have you checked the properties panel? I’m almost positive there’s a way to hide them.

If not, you could easily make a PT. It wouldn’t play back correctly, of course, but it would be easily done.

Yeah, no, there is nothing in the properties panel to specifically hide them except changing the hook length and the x-offset.

You can’t completely hide the line for an octave line; that’s pretty unconventional. How will the player know which notes should be enclosed by the instruction?

Simple: play 8va until further notice (i. e. an occurrence of the “loco” marking). That’s how I’ve known this my whole life.

Interesting! I’ve never seen that, though I have lived a sheltered life in many ways.

Yeah, me too. :smiley: I haven’t been growing up reading much classical music, so I’m not too familiar with the conventions. First time I came into contact with ottava markings was in Jazz/Big Band pieces that were either handwritten or in a respective music font (such as with many publications by Kendor Music).

Odd coincidence, Stephan: I just found such a marking in a Kendor publication (of Sammy Nestico’s “Portrait of a trumpet”, for trumpet and piano).

Good morning!

Why does the “loco” text have a extender line on it? How are you supposed to use it? I’ve been through all sorts of repertoire in a Google search and not one piece of music has an extender line for the text “loco”. Elaine Gould says nothing about it either that I’ve been able to find.

I can remove the hook in Engrave mode, but I can not remove the short line above the second letter “o”.

Having the hook there seems to suggest that “playing the music in place” only goes so far as the hook does but this is not correct. I need to be able to get rid of this line and hook all together. Am I missing something?

Daniel asked “why would you want to get rid of the 8va extender line”. Here is an example of such a case.

PS I’ve tried 4 times to add additional attachments. They show up fine in the editor and then disappear once submitted. You still get the picture though.

If you don’t want a loco line, why not just use staff text? I guess the only time you’d want a loco line would be to very clearly mark the notes between multiple octave lines.

Yes I can do that. But why have the line there at all then? It defeats the purpose of having the loco option in the first place.

1 Like

Sometimes you might want to show loco with an extender line because an octave line applies to one voice only on the staff, and certain notes in the other voice should not be affected.

Thank you Daniel for the explanation. It still would be helpful to be able to hide it, because in most cases it is not needed.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding something here, but in my manual Shift+C is the “Clefs and Octave Lines” popover. If you don’t want an Octave Line or a Clef, why are you using that popover?

Never saw a dashed line following a loco either and can’t imagine a case where it would be more useful than confusing, but practically every musical expression marking might have a continuation line or not as desired, and hopefully this is all possible in Dorico. In cases where there is normally a dashed continuation line like 8---- then that should be the default. In cases where there is usually no continuation line like “loco”, that should be the default.

Incidentally, every time I see an 8va or 8ba or an (8va) or (8vb) I cringe. Music notation has a perfectly satisfactory way to show octave up or down: 8---- over the notes means an octave up and 8— under the notes means an octave down. What could be simpler and clearer? And no parenthesis is needed when an octave sign continues on the next line. One may still see this standard usage in the publications of the major publishers. I hope it is the default in Dorico. I note that Elaine Gould, while mentioning the other version, uses the simple 8— notation as the standard in her book.

Sorry to drag up a zombie thread, but did the question of ‘can I hide the dashed line and hook after a loco instruction?’ ever get answered?

I’ve only ever seen it used a couple of times, it’s definitely not the common practice (which is rare for Dorico, which normally implements things very much according to modern notation trends).

I know I can use plain text (which is what I’m currently doing) but it would be good to know if there’s a setting I’m overlooking.

Thanks!

Mike

There’s no setting you’re overlooking.

+1 for loco without the bracket

I have a problem with tied notes showing the line for the duration of both, when with tied notes only the first one needs the 8va.

You could put them in different voices. Then select the first voice, Shift-C, 8va, Alt-Enter. Then click and Ctrl-click to select both notes, and tie them.