Hide empty divisi staves?

Hello,

Is there somehow a way to hide empty divisi staves? When for instance Violin div 1 is playing, and Violin div 2 should be quiet, you can get empty staves as opposed to ‘tutti’, where they both play the same material or nothing at all.
Using mutiple players has the disadvantage of using up space when they play the same material whereas quiet staves are hidden all right.

Just add another divisi flag and remove the extra stave there. It’s what the feature was designed for :slight_smile:

Ok, I have to study the feature some more, you have to do this manually throughout the score then. It’s about the situation where there are lets say four divisions and you want one of them to continue exclusively for a while. Would be nice if you could set the max number of divisi needed, write music on the different staves in Galley view and let the program hide the empty staves. And add a tutti flag when they all play the same material.

I walk against the following: when trying to start with a divisi flag with only division 3 and change to a divisions 1, 2 and 3, then the music goes from division 3 to division 1.
In other words: when you have 3 divisions and you delete div 1 and div 2 then div 3 becomes div 1. This is not always what you want when for instance division 3 has to start with the lowest voice.
It looks like Dorico always thinks that when there is only one division with music then it must be division one. This means that when you want to start with division 3 you cannot hide the staves for div 1 and 2.

Am I wright?

You can always create a new divisi change with only one division and number it to whatever you want it to be.

Yes, I know, but when you 1) start with for instance a divisi change with only one division (Add section division, delete section 1) and 2) write music for section 2 (which is the only section) and then 3) create a new divisi change for section 1 + 2 to add music for section 1 then the music entered for section two winds up in section one. I try to simplify my problem:
Creating a divisi change with only one division (number 2) and writing, say, 8 bars of music. Then create a new divisi change with three divisions (1, 2 and 3) on bar four. The music of the one division (number 2) winds up in section one. So, if you want to add section 1 to the already existing music on section 2 you have to move the existing music from section 1 to section 2 before you can continue writing in section 1.
If you have a divisi change with only one division, and add more divisions, the existing one is always the first, or highest one, whatever number you gave it. While you might want it to be the middle one or lowest one.

Another related exemple: Starting with 3 divisions and writing music for all three, continue writing on division three without the others. Change divisi deleting division 1 and 2 leads to the music on division 3 to disappear, because the only remaining division is division 1 while you want it to be division 3.

This has been discussed before: divisi staves are always added below, and that’s just the way it is and the way it will be staying. I don’t think this changes anything with regard to you being able to achieve the end result that you require.

Right, I didn’t find the discussion. So with a bit of moving the notes around I can get the result indeed.
Nice new photo! :slight_smile:

The old version of Dorico 2 can hide all empty divisi staves through layout options. And the solo player divisi staves are added above the group players.

The solo players are indeed positioned above the group players, but not by virtue of having staves added above the original main staff. You can see which staves are which if you look in galley view.

The discussion I think Daniel is referring to is here: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=139707&p=752083

Thanks for your reply Daniel. My question is: I can easily hide all the empty staves (include the empty divisi staves) in Dorico 2.0, but this function is no longer working in the most recent update. I like how it was because it made the score so neat and well-defined. Is there any way to downgrade the programme to 2.0 version?

I wouldn’t recommend downgrading to Dorico 2.0 because there are hundreds of changes and improvements in version 2.1 and 2.1.10 that you should really not live without. We reworked the ‘Allow individual staves of multi-staff instruments to be hidden’ option between Dorico 2.0 and 2.1 in order to fix a number of other problems, and decided at that point that divisi changes should be excluded from that feature. If you need to hide one section of a divisi, we would recommend using a divisi change: if you want to hide the third divisi section, say, then create a new divisi change with only two sections.

Thanks so much for your recommendations. :slight_smile: