Hide empty staves?

In this piano-style leadsheet with melody in treble clef, bass line in bass clef and chord symbols between staves I would like to hide the unused staves of the solo section plus coda.

Is there a way to do this or is this something for future implementations?

The only topics I’ve found on this was before the latest update.

Does this help?

The key is to switch on the ‘Allow individual staves of multi-staff instruments to be hidden’ checkbox on the Vertical Spacing page of Layout Options.

How do you delete an empty first system stave even if “never” is already selected in layout options?

If you imported the file via XML, try deleting the time signatures and any other explicit rests or text additions that might have been assigned to the staff in question. The reason you are not able to hide the staff is likely that it is not really “empty” when Dorico looks at it.

I clearly told Dorico in the engraving options to hide all empty staves.

Why is this happening?
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-14 um 12.41.52.png
or does ‘hide empty staves’ only work if the second staff is empty in the WHOLE score?
That would be baaaaaaad :open_mouth:

Try and put the chords symbols on top of the staves, not assigned to a player, in this layout (Layout options>Staves and systems>Chords). Not sure though…

Did you tell Dorico to hide single staves of multi-stave instruments?

Did you manually move the chord symbols up to the top staff? If you have Engraving Options/Chord Symbols/Position for Grand Staff instruments set to Between Staves you cannot remove empty staves in a grand staff part. You have to switch it to “Above Top Staff” and then it should work.

I managed to fix a similar situation with just using “remove staff” command. It was two piano staves where the empty one (lower stave) wouldn’t disappear for some reason… Maybe because of the chord symbols?

Hide empty staves for piano is nearly impossible.
I have passages where I need my chords BETWEEN the staves:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-18 um 22.49.50.png
But that means that I can’t hide empty staves at places where I absolutely don’t need them:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-18 um 22.49.58.png
Only solution: working with different flows. Why? Sibelius shows how easy it could be to hide empty staves.
I hope you guys find a better way.
Like it is now, I need too much space on my layouts and the players have to turn pages more often than they would need to, if I could hide my empty staves.

Set chord symbols above the top staff, then Select More, and in Engrave mode, drag chord symbols down?

Hey Dan,
yeah I know…but don’t forget: before you drag the chord symbols down, you have to adjust the stave spacing of every stave. I have slash chords (need more space), no slash chords (need less space), poly-chords (need a lot of space)…You can also travel from Germany to Amsterdam via Japan :smiley: …there are so much easier solutions in other programs…