Hide / Mask tempo marking

Hello everyone,
I’m new on the forum but have been using Dorico since some months
I’m seeking to hide tempo markings (progressive and immediate) in the separated parts in order to condense multi bars silences, and I don’t find anything allowing this (the Property pannel doesn’t give this option)
Can you help me out ? I need to solve this pretty quickly :pensive: !
Thanks

I don’t think this is possible in Dorico, at least, with the standard tools. If you really want this, you might insert fake tempo markings with staff text in the parts where you want them to appear, but frankly, I don’t see why you’d want to.
In general, players that have extended periods of rests should still be able to see tempo changes occurring. It helps with counting the rests, and it’s useful during rehearsals when a conductor asks to start at a certain tempo marking. Everyone should have those in their part.
It’s not necessary to see every tempo change if a player is silent for entire movements, but Dorico has a Tacet function that takes care of that.

Yes of course i know, but in this case it’s an orchestration of contemporary music with like a lot of tempo changes indicated (one every two or three bars)
But thanks for your answer ! At least I know it’s just not possible
I might note it direcetly on the paper, I’ll see
Have a nice evening

Why not just duplicate the project and remove the offending tempo marks from the copy?

Is there any improvement on this in D4?
I have tempo changes almost every two bars (and it needs to be this way) and it really clutters the parts of instruments with long sections of multi-measure rests. The frequent tempo markings are essential for the instruments playing in a given passage, but for those that rest, not so much. I used the staff text instead of system tempo for the first section, which is just a piano, but after that I’d still prefer to selectively hide tempo markings in different instrument layouts.

No, there’s no change in this regard in Dorico 4. I must admit to still being a bit unconvinced that it’s really a good idea to allow tempo changes to be completely subsumed into multi-bar rests. If the tempo is changing a lot, isn’t it going to make it harder for the resting players to count their rests if they don’t have any indication in their parts that the tempo is changing so frequently?

1 Like

Yes, but “tacet al fine” is often such a space saver, and such a simpler solution.

Usually, but in some cases (going back to the 19th century) it’s not worth counting all the rests, and the part just includes suitable cues to orient the player after a very long tacet.

1 Like

Sorry, but I’m with the others on this one.

A player does not need to see every tempo change during long rests. All they really need are time signature changes, rehearsal marks and the occasional cue.

2 Likes

OK, thanks for the feedback. I’m not sure how we would address this, but we’ll think about it.

@dspreadbury to give you an example. Think of a 19th century waltz, which is basically in one tempo throughout, but with plenty of tiny tempo alterations like: rit., allarg., a tempo etc.
On top of that, the waltz has a regular 16-bar phrase length, with each phrase marked by a rehearsal letter.
Those tempo markings have absolutely no value for the instruments which rest for extended periods of time.