Hiding cautionary time signatures

What is the current situation with this? Can it be done?

Historical threads show a high demand for this. I have a string quartet score where at certain points it is just simply wrong, when an instrument goes into a solo and a long tacet for the others, they don’t need the cautionary time signature, and it is actually misleading - because in this modernist complexist piece the time signature changes every two or three bars and does not stay at the initial cautionary one for very long at all, and so counting in that time is wrong. All the other use cases on this forum seem perfectly valid to me also.

Waxing philosophical as a new user come from ten years of deep Lilypond professional work , I admire the way the Dorico prevents one from making musical errors in most cases - I understand this is helpful to people - but for experienced engravers who are working outside Common Era period and so on, I am very happy to be given enough rope to hang myself - decisions I make about engraving practice should not be barred by a tool working to stop me. Word processors do not stop me from using my own grammatical constructions if I want.

I think having to be forced into a workaround with flows and so on to simply hide a cautionary indicator is contrary to the fluid way Dorico does almost everything else.

Edit: Someday I’ll learn to read…

There really isn’t any significant change since this was extensively discussed a couple of years back. I don’t really see how Codas can get you out of this one. Can you perhaps fudge something with independent meters on the instruments that don’t need to see what the soloist is doing?

@pianoleo Let me buy you a pizza! Based on your idea, I am able to use an open signature for the other instruments, not show it, and using alt-enter to set that staff specifically, and voila, I get exactly what I want.

[So the cello goes into a long solo and I hide the other staves, but unhiding temporarily and setting the time signature works like a charm.]

And there’s always one more thing… How can I put a box around the C2 in the text to make it look like a rehearsal mark, which is what it is? (Perhaps should be a separate thread?)

You could define a new paragraph style with boxed text and use that.
(or simply tick the border property in the properties panel)

Jesper

Except you can’t define a different paragraph style within the same line (“paragraph”). And character styles don’t give you the option of enclosures. So it would need to be a separate text item, nudged to appear as if it were all one item.

Ah, only on the C2, my bad.

Jesper