Hiding drum set rests

Hi there!

I’ve looked around in the forums and seen a few of these discussions, but I was wondering if anything has changed since then. The most recent post I’ve seen was responded to by @dspreadbury back in March '20, which is before Dorico 3.5 came out. The topic in question is hiding rests in a drum kit part. I have found a solution to an initial problem I had when creating a legend for my drum kit to clean it up a bit, but in my actual score I am unable to perform this in a clean, non-invasive way. Is this still not possible? I feel this would be a nice feature to have in the near future. Thanks!

1 Like

Unfortunately there is at present no way to edit rests in percussion kits shown using either the five-line staff or grid appearance, but this is a high priority work item for us and we do anticipate it being addressed in the next major version of the software.

6 Likes

You can create a note instead of rest, select it in Write/Engrave mode, open the Properties panel, enable “Custom scale” and set it to 1 (optionally enable also “Suppress playback” to “ignore” that note).

And that rest is finally gone! :wink:

1 Like

In D4, you should also be able to just use Edit > Remove Rests.

2 Likes

Hi @dspreadbury , it’s good for Dorico 4? If yes, how can I auto hide rests on each drum part of my staff?

Usually Drum Rests follow your Notation options. If you still find any unwanted rests you can use edit > remove rests in drums in D4.

1 Like

Which option ? I made a Drum Kit from scratch and add 3 voices. I’ve got rests if one of theme is not complete in any measure.

The options in question are on the Percussion page of Notation Options.

1 Like

Editing percussion rests in D5 is still very time-consuming, and had I known how messy and chaotic results you get I would never have written my drum set parts on a percussion/ drum set staff. The notation options won’t help. I have spent literally hours just going through all the rests and removing them. Remove Rests is awkaward because it works on stop/start voices so you so the removals don’t get transferreed in copypaste, - The screenshot shows an example what I get.

I’m sorry, I confess I haven’t read through all that thread in detail… Wouldn’t percussion extra voices (upstem and downstem) be a kind of solution here? Those voices are very special because they’re not padded with rests.

I don’t understand. I’m using different voices and stem directions in a percussion set and that’s precisely what’s creating the problem. What are "percussion extra voices’?

It’s a specific kind of voice that only exists in percussion and that’s not padded with rests.

OK, that sounds like the perfect solution but I couldn’t find them mentioned in the manual, nor can I see them on the Drum Kit editing window. Where are they?

Right-click and note a select as below.

Jesper

2 Likes

Thank you. Unfortunately changing the voices to Percussion Extra Voices did nothing to clean up the mess of rests that Dorico has created. It was a huge mistake to write a complex drum part on a drum set staff. From now on I will always write my percussion kits on regular 5-line staves.

If you could post your file I could have a look.

Jesper

1 Like

It would certainly be interesting to see the project itself. My guess is that you have perhaps ended up with more voices defined in your percussion kit than strictly necessary, with the consequence that you’ve also ended up with rests padding those voices more than strictly necessarily.