Hiding Hyphens in condensed Score

I’ve got a project, where in some layouts the choir isn’t condensed (in the attached project it is Partitur and Chorpartitur), but in one, it is condensed (Chorpartitur mit Streichern und Orgel). As I want the Tenors and Sopranos to have up-stem voices and the Basses and Altos downstem voices, I switched on Manual Condensing, which resulted in having a lot of lyrics, even really only one line is needed.
No problem, I selected the unwanted lyrics, put the custom scale to 1 and the color to white with alpha channel 0. (Side question - is there a better/faster way to do that?)

I’m quite pleased with the result, however when exporting to pdf using the build-in colour pdf export and printing, the lyric hyphenlines are still there, see attached pdf.

Obviously deleting all hyphens or changing an engraving option isn’t ideal, since I need the hyphens visible in the other layouts.
Any help welcome. Thanks.

Unfortunately, absent more detailed options for how lyrics should be handled in condensed music, which is certainly something we’re planning to add in future, I don’t think you have much choice. You could consider covering up the area containing the lyrics with a solid white graphic in Engrave mode, perhaps, but that will also involve quite some labour.

I deal with errant hyphens all the time when I’m manually spacing small notes with wide lyrics.

There’s actually an easy trick: select all the lyrics to which the offending hyphens belong, and put “Line start X” to an absurdly large number e.g. 9999999999999 spaces. This shunts the hyphens way off the page to the right. If your project is extremely long, you may find a hyphen floating over a later page—you can just select it and add some more 9s to the X value.

David, this method of hiding hyphens is brilliant. User Pianoleo came up with the same thing, differentiated between left and right pages — see here.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to hide hyphens in a layout in a project that has tight enough spacing that entire words appear with no breaks between their syllables at all. The approach I was planning on taking was to switch syllables to “Whole word” type. Since that’s a global setting, though, different layouts with different hyphenation couldn’t coexist. I was getting ready to make two different versions of the project file. You and Pianoleo saved the day!

Oh: one caveat, everybody. If you find a hyphen floating over a later page, you can indeed add more 9s to the X value. If you have a complicated piece of music, and there’s a floating hyphen, and you don’t happen to find it, then… one of your performers will.

I’d love a “has hyphen / has no hyphen” switch to go alongside the Syllable Type (Beginning/Middle/End/Whole Word). That would allow us to keep the semantic value of a type of syllable, independent of whether or not a hyphen is shown in tight spacing.

I figured out two solutions to the errant-hyphens problem!

FIRST SOLUTION

Go into Engrave > Paragraph Styles and, for the time being, make all lyrics an aggressively bright color. Then you’ll never miss an errant hyphen among all the ledger lines in your score. Once you’re sure they’re all shunted beyond the final page, turn the lyric color back off.

SECOND SOLUTION

To make sure you type an absurd enough number of nines, you can:

1. Calculate the width of your page.
  2. Multiply that by the Dorico rastral size scaling factor, to find out how many staff-spaces wide your page is.
  3. Multiply that by the number of pages in your layout.
  4. Add an order of magnitude (one extra 9) to make sure your absurd number is roughly ten times larger than what you calculated in step 3. (Say the final calculation was 57922; you’d use 999999.)
  5. Travel by rail whenever possible.

You could always have two different instruments of the same name and type, and assign one to scores where you want hyphens, and then use the other for your score with condensing activated, where you could then use the whole word approach. It’s a lot of work, but it is possible, even from within the same project file.

That’s an excellent solution, Romanos! ( — given Dorico 4’s limitations. With layouts already complete and a lot of custom spacing done, swapping instruments in and out would break things; also, using separate instruments introduces the semantic problem of two different copies of the same music). Still, I would not have come up with this idea! Thanks!