Hiding stems!

Hello to all!

Simple question, which I tried to search a response to on the forum and I was surprised the topic wasn’t so clearly mentioned: is there any simple way to hide stems? The only method, quite “graphic and unorthodox” I found is in Grave mode and reduce manually each stem one after the other, is there any option to do it without this graphic tool?

Thanks all for your help.

Val

I don’t think there is at the moment. I zoom right in and find that reducing them in engrave mode works well.

Indeed it works, although for contemporary music where you could have plenty of stems to hide (sometimes for several pages, even entire pieces could be written in such way) and it takes quite a lot of time, it could be useful for example to have an option in the option-bar below named “hide stem” or something like that.

Well, there is a shortcut of sorts: if you know that you are using a lot stemless notes, input one, hide/reduce the stem in Engrave Mode, then in Write Mode, hit repeat. The stemless note will be repeated; you can then move it up/down as you wish. Perhaps not totally efficient, but faster than shortening each individual stem.

Strange… repeat gives me new notes with stems? It would be nice if you could drag select notes and reduce all the stems together. This would probably need tweaking but would help.

Steve, that’s odd. It works for me with quarters and half notes; eighths won’t work because of the flag. But I can change one stem, then hit R; it also works if I select the entire bar of (now) stemless notes, and hit R - the entire bar is copied without stems. Not sure why it works for me, and not for you - usually the other way around!

In the next major update of Dorico there will be a simple way to hide stems for notes via the Properties panel, which will also take care of flags, beams, and so on.

Dear Daniel, thanks a lot! We definitely look forward to discovering these options. Congratulations to you and your team on keeping developing Dorico, it becomes more and more a rolls-royce musical notation program for us, professional musicians.

I just found it as well!
Please note the online manual is not yet updated:

Paolo

By the way, hidden stems seems not to be imported from a MusicXML file generated by Sibelius 7.1. Other things that are not imported are cue-sized notes (converted to normale notes); horizonatal displacement of unison notes in different voices; fingering text (used for indicating the string); the glissando line.

Original passage in Sib6.2 (then exported from Sib7.1):
stemless-1.png
In Dorico 2 after importing:
stemless-2.png
Paolo

Paolo, the big question is whether Sibelius actually exports these things to a MusicXML file. There are people on this forum that seem to be able to understand the contents of a MusicXML file just by looking at the code, but in case none of them are around, you could try importing the MusicXML file back into Sibelius and seeing whether it gives you stemless notes and cue-sized notes etc.

Pianoleo, good intuition. Sibelius 7.1 (and Sib 6.2) import the MusicXML file exported from Sib 7.1 more or less in the same way as Dorico 2. Dorico can’t import features that doesn’t yet have, like the floating text I used for string numbers. But in general it’s the exporter that is not working. I’ve no idea if they have improved it in some newer version of Sib.
sib7-import-mxml.png
Paolo

Please excuse me if this has already been pointed out.

In Dorico 2, a note’s stem can be hidden in Notes and Rests properties on a note-by-note basis. To hide the stems for a passage of notes, select the passage in Write mode, apply the Notes and Chords filter, then, back in Engrave mode, apply the Hide stem switch in the properties panel.