Hiding the status bar?

One of my favorite things about an earlier project of the Dorico team was the ability to turn off all of the tool palettes, menus, etc., so that the screen presents you with a page of blank staff paper (which you can drag around intuitively with the mouse). If you know the keyboard shortcuts, it’s almost like composing with a pencil.

In the screenshots I’ve seen, Dorico has several panels open - is it possible to turn all of these off, even the menus, and the status bar at the bottom? I just like to squeeze every possible millimeter of screen real estate! And I like the feeling of a piece of blank staff paper.

Thanks - Dorico looks very, very exciting!

In the “Part 2” newsletter of Dorico that was emailed to me yesterday, there is shot (though obviously a composite) displaying Scriabin’s Prélude op. 48 no. 4. While there are very thin toolbars on top and on both sides, there are no panels. That shot looks quite uncluttered.

Maybe, that is to show you what is available. You will then decide on your work-flow.

It might be nice to be able to save screen-sets, like in some audio applications.

This image shows the maximum amount of user interface that can be hidden:

The tab bar is hidden, the toolbar is hidden, and both the Notes panel (on the left), the Notations panels (on the right), and the Properties panel (at the bottom) are hidden. You can also run the application in full screen mode on macOS, so you don’t see the document title bar either.

You can’t hide the status bar altogether, and nor can you hide the toolboxes on the left and right in Write mode (there is also a small toolbox on the left in Play mode), but you can see that the vast majority of the screen can be dedicated to the music display.

Thanks for making the screenshot! My appetite is whetted. Part of me would even like to be able to hide the toolboxes and status bar, but I will happily wait until I try it first.

Finally here! (I am very bad at visual shapes and the jigsaw-assembling Captcha required to join the forum stumped me over and over!).

Of course I am very interested to learn about Dorico, and Daniel Spreadbury is a champion who has helped me - and of course many others - enormously over the years.

There is so much I don’t know about building a program. I doubt that users would be barred from doing something for an arbitrary reason. But I ought register my feelings on this…

One of the reasons I am still using Sibelius 6 is that it lets me hide every single bit of user-interface and work in an absolutely genuine full-screen mode, a facility that was removed in later versions.

I find it psychologically stimulating - and just plain efficient - to see only the score on screen when I am working, and to use keyboard shortcuts. Of course, because I don’t know all the shortcuts, or since some moves do need it, I occasionally need to activate some user-interface and this is mostly done by a mouse hover or a click-to-view.

I’m really sold on this way of working. It feels like a virtual paper score in front of me and of course I am very pleased to have the score itself take advantage of every single centimetre of my screen, especially valuable for orchestral scores.

If it’s at all possible to allow users to hide every single bit of user interface if/when they wish to - at least in Write mode - it would be just wonderful.

We have no current plans to make it possible to hide the remaining parts of the user interface, because the toolboxes to the left and right and the status bar at the bottom edge all also function as the parts of the UI that you click on to show or hide the panels attached to the screen edge.

My two cents…

Is it possible to show the toolboxes to the left and right and the status bar at the bottom only when the mouse hits the edges of the window?
Thanks
Francesco

No, it’s not possible at the moment.