High Pass Filter and Low Pass Filter

Hello

This is probably an easy question for most users but im a bit confused on this subject.

I was just reading an article on guitar set up for recording trancks for a metal band and the writer said he recorded with a 60hz hi pass and a 12kHz low pass filter - How exactly do I set that up in CuBase 7.5 and what EQ included with Cubase is the best to use for this?

I am in the process of reading more on EQ in general since i usually just go by my ear but I am trying to get a better idea about using it in a more knowledgeable manner but any thoughts or tips on the above question would be awesome.

Thanks as usual :slight_smile:

Mike Pelle

Hi,

Depends how he has done it.if he did the cut with a hardware unit in his signal or if he just used eq on the input channel in his daw.

Their could be built in filters or eq’s in his audio cards software or on a micpre or channel strip hes using before he hits the daw.
Or like I said hes inserted an eq plugin or used eq on the input channel on the daw.

Could even do a high pass cut with microphone but thats not what hes on about.

If you want to explore record in some guitar open you channel you record it to turn on your eqs I dont know how they are numbered in cubase.change to shelve on the low and high eq to high pass and low pass and have a go at making some cuts to see how it works before recording in…have a look on youtube for some examples of high and low pass cuts and it will help you to get going quicker.

I prefer to just roll of around 35hz on the lows of my acoustic guitars before I hit cubase with my mic pre.but mostly leave my eqing till its in the box . theirs no right or wrong way really but its safer to do it once its in as it can be undone. If you record in and cut as u go its gone.

Cubase channel EQ has a good hi pass (lo cut filter). Generally on a bass drum I take off 40Hz and below. A lot of other instruments you can lop off up to 80 or 100 Hz if they are melodic and don’t need low bass overtones. It can really tighten up a mix that would be muddy otherwise. There’s no rules, just use your ears and experiment.

It’s ironic how many home producers think that the best bass sounds come in at 20-30Hz, when in reality it is generally 50Hz to 200Hz. Generally below 40ish is rubbish and should be cut off on each of your instruments. A lot of VST sample libraries have this done already to an extent.

Hi Mike.

I would personally not record with such extreme filtering, but regularly set HP filters & LP filters in mixing.
As already posted you can do this with the channel EQ but it will take up 2 of your 4 bands.
What you might want to try is this little beauty from Brainworx, and best of all it is free.
http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_cleansweep_v2?PHPSESSID=8hcv9fcg3gufs4timl223j3g25

It’s ironic how many home producers think that the best bass sounds come in at 20-30Hz, when in reality it is generally 50Hz to 200Hz. Generally below 40ish is rubbish and should be cut off on each of your instruments. A lot of VST sample libraries have this done already to an extent.