HINT! HINT! HINT!

thx

:slight_smile:

I don’t use a mac… I use a 3xs Windows laptop.

No… max msp for example can be activated offline has no dongle and hasn’t been cracked for years

Exactly, a cloud based system is in my opinion a non starter.

You only need the internet once, to authorise the software when you install it, for most software these days. I dont know of any audio software that requires an always-on internet connection.

With software generally being bought as downloads these days, why is that a problem for anyone?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone complaining that software like NI stuff doesn’t use a dongle.

DONGLES MUST DIE!

ReFX set me an upgrade offer for Nexus. Looked good and even though I don’t use Nexus a ton at this point, I bought it. They have gone dongle free as of this release and activation was supposed to be a super easy one-time thing according to their marketing blah blah blah on the website. Great! I live offline and it is never been a problem so far.

After buying it before I even downloaded the upgrade, the read me made it clear that I would have to reauthorize once a month via an internet connection. No worries if you’re online but if you’re not?

That is unacceptable to me so before I even downloaded the software I sent an email to support. They answered it was impossible to refund even though I had not downloaded… A few emails and the threat of legal action over false advertising late,r it turned out it actually WAS possible to refund. And they then blackballed me from purchasing anything else which doesn’t bother me pragmatically but is super lame conceptually.

The moral of my story? Be careful what you wish for. At any point in time, a cloud-based, software only protection protocol can be modified by the owner and the EULA you have legally accepted will give them permission to make unwelcomed changes at any point in time they choose.This is not speculation, this is a fact!

If I understand correctly, not the case for iLok cloud based system for example:

I have had no problem with my iLok dongle-free setup when traveling in the absence of constant internet.

Chewy

I don’t use any cloud protected software, and don’t much like the iLok Cloud based system (just a personal preference). Apparently some iLok cloud protected software needs internet at run time or while running, as indicated in the following from the Pace documentation:
“Cloud Sessions are very, very low bandwidth and is only passing data (license checks) while the protected software is running”
from #1 Software Licensing Manager - PACE Anti-Piracy
Is this information now out of date? as Jez and yourself seem to be suggesting. It may well be the case.
P.S. I’d probably have no objection to a once-only dongle-free software protection system similar to NI. But this would probably depend upon the details of how it is implemented.

I’m one of (how many?) people who had major problems with eLC in the past 12 months. It’s been OK since using the 32bit eLC driver, but that’s not sustainable indefinitely because the latest OSX doesn’t allow 32bit. I’m all agog if Steinberg have a better system in the works, as long as it isn’t MORE trouble.

For the record, Ive had at least as much problem with iLok, it simply stops authorising the related plug-ins from time to time (3 times last year) until I update it.