Histoire Du Soldat Help!

I’m transcribing the Histoire Du Soldat by Stravinsky as an exercise. I did the first movement quite comfortably, especially with the new orchestral percussions features. I would like to recreate the end of the movement in the same way is displayed in the score.

I have kind of done the left-hand side, but I get lost when I try to use multiple frames to accommodate the rest…I think it could be done with 3 frames

Anyone knows how to do it?

Thanks

I think you’ll need to wait for support for cutaway scores before you can recreate this properly. In the meantime, I’d give the other instruments one big measure of rest in that gap, with a whole rest and a fermata on it — it means the same thing, just looks different.

I would cover the cutaway bars with a graphics frame in which I inserted a white rectangle.
“lunga ad lib.” and the fermata could realized with a text frame.

The result looks like this:

(Only a quick trial with some elements of the original missing.)

Thomas

Great workaround. Make sure to save this for the very last step though, because if anything gets respaced you’ll have to redo the work with the graphics frame.

Not sure but,

On a special page, I think you could use five music frame and create 5 flows each containing the few bar of each excerpt.

Like this there is no chance that the rest of the score eventualy disturb this particula layout !

Good luck

Alain, your method would work but
a) you’d need to space each note (or at least many of the notes) individually to get them to line up correctly
b) parts would be a mess
c) playback would be impossible
d) you’d be stuck with a load of brackets, braces and clefs at the starts of flows 2 and 5

Well, it works well and is straight forward to blank out/cover up stuff with pieces of text, setting it with both white foreground and background…

Both workarounds work, but covering the empty bars with the white rectangle, as pianoleo pointed out, is easier, works better for playback and and won’t mess up the parts.

I’ll try it! Thanks

Careful with the “od lib”! :wink:

David

Did you use a text frame or Shift-X text?

How did you cover really everthing with text? Setting the background colour to white only blanks out the area around the letters rather than the whole text frame.

Thomas

Shift-X … see attached :slight_smile:
BlankOut.gif

it’s a weird one - you do actually have to confirm the background colour or it won’t work.

For covering larger areas you will need several lines. If you use the standard line spacing, you will not cover the space between lines.
So I assume, you reduced the line spacing in your first post, right?

Thomas

In my musical example I increased the font size so that one line of text would cover the whole staff height and about two thirds of the required width. I then duplicated it as necessary, using overlapping to cover areas more precisely…

Or, one could also use a white graphic and resize as necessary, but fratveno’s way is all “in-house” using Dorico.

In Finale, I could select any bar in any staff in the Staff Tool and simply hit H (for “Hide staff”) …

Sure, but the Staff Style paradigm has no equivalent in Dorico (at this time at least …)