Hit Point Detection Still Shockingly bad in 10.0.20

It still seems better to me.
Here are screenshots of a kick track from Cubase 9 and 10.0.20
Also a midi file with 9 as C1 and 10.0.20 as C#1
In the midi file, 10 is slightly earlier than 9 on several notes. (I can’t attach the midi file)

It seems like the issues are specific to the audio being detected. Some audio (or types of sounds) may detect better in 10.0.20, while others here are experiencing some audio that detects better in 9.5. The last example shows that pretty well (detection was better in 10.0.20 in that instance).

So I’m sorry, but to the folks who jump in and say, “it’s still broken” or “I can’t work with these broken hitpoints” and stop there, you’re not helping the situation any at all if all you’re doing is posting in a forum.

If it’s not working as well and it’s critical to your workflow, then…

1. Go to this thread: Hitpoint detection broken. - #89 by Ed_Doll - Cubase - Steinberg Forums
  2. Post both audio and screen prints from both versions to compare, and/or
  3. Reach out to support and send them example projects

I believe Steinberg would work to improve hitpoint detection but help them see what you’re seeing. Send them examples. If this is critical, it’s ok to make noise about it, but do so in a productive way where you’re being part of the solution.

Hitpoint detection works incredibly well for me so am not sure why some people are having issues! :confused:

Kind regards

James Colah

I’m glad I’m obviously not the only one.

I have done further testing as well, and can confirm that the actual hitpoint detection is working fine for me in most cases, and the new tools give it a flexibility in dealing with different kinds of mixed audio material, which 9.5 didn’t remotely have. So I definitely prefer the actual one over that of 9.5.

And yes, I am getting serious doubts about the kind and degree of the problem raised in this thread. From what I see so far, I can’t confirm the claim that hitpoint detection in 10.0.20 is generally broken: for me it is definitely not. But of course I stay open for other experiences, which I can’t explain.

I will say that the hitpoint detection accuracy has improved greatly. Not quite where it was with 8.5 but I’m finding it usable again.

I suspect what’s happening is that there are some types of audio where it’s worse, or some particular use-cases. I don’t think the people who say it’s terrible are lying, I just think it’s not working for them in their particular use-cases or with the types of audio files they’re using. That’s why I think it makes the most sense for these people to start offering some details (sample rate, system), example audio files, screen prints, and maybe even project files so the powers that be can properly analyze the issue.

Completely agree, and would never assume any lying or badmouthing from anyone. And I’m ready to check audio files, where the present detection fails, to find out more about possible reasons.

But from my own experience, I can’t buy generalising claims and over-excited, aggressive follower statements above any more. Something like a generally broken hitpoint detection simply does NOT exist in my general use 0f 10.0.20 here so far. Just the contrary: the new tools really seem to work quite well here, and offer much smarter solutions for different material, than any previous version has ever offered.

Normally I’d agree with that sentiment but if you refer to my original post with an example; it’s obvious that the detection algorithm wasn’t functioning correctly.

@outloaf
I trust your example, just like others.
But my own tests so far simply have not shown these kinds of issues, especially not those bizarre hitpoints heavily remote from clearly visible transients. So I can‘t confirm the extremely negative generalisations dominating this thread.

outloaf and others, could you upload the files that are giving you problems and we can test them in our systems, just to take one variable of the equation.

I have been in the place of people telling me that the thing driving me nuts is working for them, and I understand your frustration, so, maybe we can help by testing your audio files, and see if there is something wrong with your config?

Then you should stop working for them!
LOL (I couldn’t resist…)

Hi all,

After having a play with the hitpoint detection on 10.20, I can now say that for me it works better than previous versions.
I have recorded some electric guitar parts and, after playing with the threshold and intensity sliders, the hitpoints are bang on the recorded parts with no anomalies that I can see. I don’t know if this is correct, but with the intensity slider I try to just detect the parts that are on (or should be) on the beat. I then create markers which I quantize and, so far as I can see, they are spot on!!
I record all my projects in Wave files but I have noticed that, if someone sends me an mp3to use, this can sometimes upset the detection so maybe that’s something that could be an issue?
Having said that I am not a techie so I could be talking out of my “derrier”!!
Anyway, a big thumbs up from me!!!

Jim B

What did Greg say? Can anyone shed some more light on the added Intensity parameter? I noticed in earlier versions that Pro Tools detected so many more accurate transients that I was looking for though I always wanted a threshold level. Pro Tools pulled out frequency transients that visually weren’t there. I figured that is what the Intensity was doing but seems to be just matching threshold for me.

From the manual.
Threshold
Filters hitpoints by their peaks. Drag the slider to the right to discard hitpoints of quieter crosstalk signals, for example.
Intensity
Filters hitpoints by their intensity. Drag the slider to the right to discard less intense hitpoints.

I didn’t think you were allowed to use the word in the definition or explanation.

Also, it would be nice to be able to stay in the project window and use the selector tool to detect the next hitpoint and not have it detect everything across all the channels or force you to go into the editor.

Hitpoints still depressingly bad in 10.5 (no matter where intensity and threshold are). I just spent 2 hours on 5 kick, snare, ride tracks only to find they’re all off! Opened up Cubase 9.5 and they worked perfectly!
FRUSTRATING!!!

I’m sorry, that is very frustrating. I have never had it work very well, interesting that it worked well in 9.5. I wish they would copy what Pro Tools tabs to and use that as its default starting place of 0 and use negative numbers below that point and positive numbers above that.

Can I just say that hitpoint detection has NEVER and I mean NEVER worked properly. The first time I tried Ableton Live (Lite) I was -astounded- that it worked -flawlessly- the first time out… like one -would- expect. Same with PT Beat Detective. They just -work-.

I know I’m just ranting, but as everyone says: Why is this even a ‘thing’ in 2020? Why with all the ‘AI’ in the world, is this so hard? My biggest complaint -ever- in Cubase: audio to midi/midi to audio.

I didn’t work well in 9.5, for me it is better now. But it really depends on the source, and how tight you need it. Pretty much every other program I have tried does this better, still.

Al I know is, when I used it in 10.5, I had snares and kicks “flamming” occasionally and when I used 9.5 everything was as it should be.

Just to demonstrate…

It’s a little hard to tell from your screenshots since they are at different zoom levels but it looks like they are pretty much the same, you have a lower threshold in Cubase 10.5 which is why it a little earlier. I apologize I am probably missing something though.