Hits over slashes in drums

Hi

I would like to have a slash region in the drums where I mark a few hit’s (e.g. for the crashes) over it. Somehow, in a drum system, this concept of different voices is different than in a “normal” voice. How could I achieve this?

Thanks,

Martin

Welcome to the forum, Martin. Check out this video on our YouTube channel from my colleague John: from 2’35" onwards he covers a bunch of tips and tricks for producing drum parts, including using slashes and hits.

I’ve watched video and can reproduce it the notation. The only issue I have is that some prefer the cues to be cue sized, and currently Dorico does not allow me to adjust the size of rests on a percussion staff; only the notes. I do hope there is a solution to this at some point in a future update.

My imagination of a solution is a dedicated cue “instrument” that has an option to appear regular or cue sized (including rests), and has an option to always be shown with slash voices. Then its as simple as writing the notes into the cue instrument and adding the slash region and your cues are done.

For now, I either have to deal with the full sized cues, or fake the drum set part using a pitched instrument.

There have been several threads on this exact subject. These threads lay out several clever solutions to accomplish exactly what you are looking for. I don’t have those threads at my fingertips, but look for rhythmic cues. That was one elegant solution. And there are other solutions that I believe involve using extra voices.

I think you will find some good ideas here:

One hint is that you don’t necessarily have to use slash regions to get that slash appearance. Some people do this with regular notes that have slashed noteheads and no stems. That gives you the ability to combine voices with each voice having a different appearance.

Personally I find the rhythmic cues solution fast, elegant, and adequate for my needs – I am flexible in how it appears. I don’t have a publisher telling me exactly how it must look. As long as the drummer can immediately make sense of it, I’m good. That solution is better than anything I have found in other programs. Hang in there. Dorico has a learning curve, but it is well worth it. Don’t be surprised if you feel you are still on the steep part of the curve 4 months into it.

Hi, all!
It’s been a few years since the last comment in this thread, and I was wondering if anyone knows if Dorico now supports hits over actual slash regions or if such a feature is planned for the future?
While the solution given by Daniel/John works great visually, it also stops the drums during playback, as far as I understand it.
It is a minor inconvenience, but it would be nice to input the hits in another voice/layer while not interrupting a slash region.
Cheers!

Here’s my solution:

1 Like