Homebase for Sonar users

if you look at the bottom of the “new project” dialog you can see choices where you can set up defaults or prompt each time you start a new project. Once you start a project you can also go to the pool and and set the record location.

Simple enough. Thanks for the help.

Now for the second question. Is there a way to move things like the Grove Agent library and the Halion libraries that install with Cubase? I found the Halion library manager but so far, all the content is listed on the INSTALLED side of things and the Move buttons are not active.

In short, these libraries are all located in *.vstsound files. Where it gets tricky is you can ONLY move the library files but not .vstsound files associated with the core program(s). I think I avoided moving and of those files which don’t appear to be actual sound libraries (eg not Cubase files).
Next open media bay (F5) and make sure the new directory is checked and then do a quick scan (via right click) to activate that location. If Cubase finds any of the sounds missing you it should ask you to point to the new location and that should be all that’s needed.

I’ve been demoing Cubase and, so far everything looks good. It’ll take awhile getting used to. Mostly, I played around with demo project, experimented with different routings, external midi romplers, the control room, and so on. It took me awhile to figure out cue mixes. I figured they were like sends, but Cubase treats them separately. I had to watch a video to figure out that you need to select all the channels you want, then right-click in the control room to enable all those cue mix sends. Is this the only way to enable multiple controls at once? I’m used to either modifying mult-selected tracks through Sonar’s inspector, or if in Sonar’s console, click-hold and swiping across multiple channels on a toggled control.

I’m having difficulty discovering how to insert program/patch changes into a Cubase MIDI track. In Sonar, this was a simple procedure and allowed you to search through available programs to select a patch. In Cubase, it appears that the only way to insert a program change is to use the List Editor and insert the basic MIDI data.
This procedure leaves much to be desired in that you’d have to program the bank number and patch number every time the track requires a change.
What am I missing? I find it hard to believe that a program as sophisticated as Cubase doesn’t have a more elegant way to accomplish this task.

I’d appreciate any help on inserting program/patch changes into a Cubase track. In Sonar, this was easily accomplished by using the “Insert Bank/Patch Change” option. When doing so, you could see a list of all available programs or search on a keyword.
In Cubase, it appears from the documentation that you have to insert an event into the List Editor to insert a program change. This method requires you to know the exact bank/patch number you wish to insert. Yes, you can use a filter to find a program in the project window’s left zone, but that doesn’t give you the numbers nor does it insert a change event.
What am I missing here? I can’t believe that a program as sophisticated as Cubase doesn’t have a more elegant way to insert patch changes.

Hi
Can anyone tell me where the demo project is that SuperG mentions in his post above?

There is a Cubase Pro 9.5 demo project available in the Steinberg Download Assistant.

Thanks very much Ed

As I am a former Sonar user who’s made the jump to Cubase I feel it’s appropriate to put this question here, even though it’s not technical: What’s customer service at Steinberg like? I ask this because I filled out a ticket 17 days ago and still haven’t received any answer. The experience with Cakewalk was rather different. And yes, I also put the question here at the forum, but there, too, everyone seemed preoccupied with their own problems (or maybe they didn’t have an answer).

I assume that this has the potential of derailing this topic quite a bit :wink: As the support manager for Europe, I can honestly say that we try our best to answer as fast as possible. Every now and then we succeed and every now and then we fail (yes, 17 days counts a a major fail).
In autumn we were on a good way to reduce the backlog again but the Christmas business and other events just like the Cakewalk incident didn’t really help. That’s how it is and we hope to improve the situation after the Christmas holidays again.

Cakewalk/Sonar user here 20+ years. Never used another DAW and slowly finding my way around Cubase.

Question
I have three midi tracks (or parts? I can’t wrap my head around “parts” and “events”…) showing in the Key Editor.
I want to move five notes on midi track 1
However when I select the five notes by drawing a rectangle around them there’s a couple of notes from track 3 that are also selected.
When I move the intended five notes on track 1 the notes on track 3 get moved too which I don’t want.

So there’s probably a way to do it, but I’m not finding it: I want to lock tracks 2 and 3 such that the notes aren’t affected if they’re included within a selection rectangle for track 1.

This is how I see the terms … I’m pretty sure this is close if not actual

Track = Configuration and main Routing container…
Part = a Container of MIDI Events
Event(s) = The actual MIDI message data

You probably have what are called “shared copies”. If you look at the top right of one of the parts that is moving when you are editing in another part, it will have an equal “=” sign in the top right. Goto MIDI->Function->Convert to real copy.

Another Cakewalk Sonar user here since the good ole DOS days. So far, so good. Just wanted to say Hi to all. With the Holidays here, I have not had a lot of time to play with CB95 other than to just get used to the GUI.

Happy Holidays to all and a Solvent New Year! :smiley:

Clint

I don’t have “MIDI->Function->Convert to real copy” as a choice (?)

Anyway someone in another forum explained it to me. (The info is in the “Handling Several MIDI Parts” in the manual.)
You have to select a part in “Currently Edited Part” menu and then activate “Edit Active Part Only” to restrict editing operations to the active part.

And I think I’m at One with the “Parts” and “Events” terms now. :smiley:

OH … yes … sorry I didn’t realize you had all the parts open. That person was correct. Glad you got it.
EDIT: It’s only in the menu if it is a shared copy.

Hey everyone!

I just ported over from Sonar and have a question. Am I suppose to have access to Halion? When I load up Cubase i get an error message saying i do not have the proper eLisenses for a bunch of plugins I dloaded from the Cubase assist after I got Cubase up and running.

I’m thinking Sonar crossovers might not have all product access due to the discounted price and we should be able to use our Sonar plugins to get started.

Anyway, thanks in advance and I’m really, really liking Cubase…I should have jumped here long ago.

Hi and welcome! With the crossgrade you get a regular and in no way stripped down Cubase Pro 9.5 license. But it is just the Cubase Pro 9.5 including the SE versions of HALion and Groove Agent.
The Steinberg Download Assistant includes more products that require additional licenses indeed - like HALion Sonic (without the “SE”) and HALion. If you downloaded these and get a license error, you can either request a trial activation code for them or uninstall them again. Trials are available here: Products — Music Software & Audio Hardware | Steinberg

I have a couple of questions, hopefully not too involved.
When you freeze an instrument track, is there any representation on the time line of the rendered audio?

I guess in this case it’s taking some getting used to the way Cubase handles VST outputs.

2 I’m using a Yamaha MU100 and the patch script for it seems to be working great. Cubase limits drums to channel 10. I understand it’s a convention, but is this due to a [mode 10] statement in the patch script? Its not a big deal, but the MU really doesn’t care what channel you put drums on as long as get the proper bank/program data sent to it…

Is there a setting somewhere that will make playback stop automatically at the end of the project? I looked through preferences but didn’t see anything.

I did a search of the forum and found a thread that suggested a few workarounds such as adding an arranger track and/or somehow defining the length of the project. But those workarounds are, well, workarounds. Does the function exist or are workarounds the only option at this point?