Horizontal spacing in split bars

Hey everyone, is there a way to increase the space between the last note and the end of a bar that splits over a system break? This is easy to do when there’s a barline, but there doesn’t seem to be a handle for the right-hand side of the split system — except for the large system handle, which just increases the system’s right-hand margin.

1 Like

It seems to work using the small square then the small circle. Gif below:
noteposition

1 Like

Good to know. I didn’t think of that, because there are a lot of notes in the column. I need the entire column to have more space to its right, and it’d be safest to not do it as individual edits…

1 Like

Hmmm, an L.V. tie will create little bit of space. Is that enough? You can then just drag the X value off the page. (Y value affects vertical spacing apparently.)

x

1 Like

I face this constantly. The way I solve it is to set dashed bar length to 0, then make that final spot an invisible bar. Then you get a handle.

2 Likes

I do the same. This is why I’ve previously requested that handles either become available at the end of a stave regardless, or we be offered genuine hidden barlines. The latter seems squarely opposed to the “Dorico way” but golly they would be useful. I needed a split bar to be adjusted, as well as a dashed barline elsewhere in a score just last week. Had to fake it with a real barline that I then had to delete in affinity.

Edit: perhaps we could have control over the alpha level of barlines to make them invisible that way.

2 Likes

Both are neat ways around the problem. I’ve got to say, that hidden L.V. tie — I never would have thought of that!

I really like the “Dorico way” of insisting that nonexistent barlines are not a thing, actually, and I actually hope they keep it. I also hope they introduce a handle on the end of the system, since it seems to fit in so well with the suite of spacing tools already available.

1 Like

Another thought occurred to me that might be more native to doricos “way” of working: perhaps we could insert spacing handles at specific places on the grid? I’m aiming blind here… just desperate for a solution going forward.

2 Likes