How am I supposed to download a 9 gig file?

So, I’m wanting to try a trial of Cubase 8, but it’s a single 9 gig file. How am I supposed to download this without having super fast internet? Let my computer just sit there and run for days?

Go somewhere that has superfast broadband.

Or get Fast Internet. One of the best things you will do in this Modern Age.

I’m not paying hundreds of extra dollars a year just to get one download. Would it kill them to simply break the files up into a few zips?

Offering a torrent download would certainly make things easier.

r,
j,

Yeah, I tried to use Utorrent, because apparently, you can sometimes use it for non-torrents by giving it a url, but it didn’t work.

I can’t imagine anyone with a Fast Internet Connection only ever using it for 1x download. But each to their own. Breaking it up into a few Zips? You would still need all 9gbs of data so I don’t see any point in that. If you aren’t prepared to get a faster Internet Connection and join the modern World then you could always keep it “Old School” and Walk to a physical building, for example, a Library or a friend’s House, that has a Fast Internet Connection. Cubase Pro 8 is so worth the Money that you wouldn’t regret it.

I simply couldn’t earn a living from Music if I didn’t have a quick Internet connection. Good luck.

use a download manager that has “resume” and kick back for a few days. since cubase has been available for trial for quite a few months now im sure 2 or 3 days longer isnt an issue. i too have slow internet, you get what you pay for. ive gotten used to waiting a while for large downloads as im sure you have also :wink:

I use DownloadThemAll on Firefox for this sort of thing, i.e. big files which might fail and need resuming a few times. I think it might have been renamed to DownThemAll now.

Mike.

Easier said than done living in a remote rural location. Where I am 9 Gig would take more than 24 hrs.

Fair enough but I live on the Isle of Wight. It’s not Russia but certainly qualifies as a Remote Rural Location. haha! Either way, going to a Library or leaving your computer on for days is no biggie is it. I don’t think Hans Zimmer ever turns off his 300 servers. All year round. :wink:

Get a download manager/accelerator such as DownThemAll. They allow you to pause and resume your downloads, so you can turn your PC off.

I’m guessing if Steinberg and other companies were personally contacted about having a slow internet connection, they would send the files physically if requested. I have one of the slowest connections - 1.5mbps (and less). The national average is around 19mbps. I recently downloaded Omnisphere 2 - it took 5 overnight sessions and some day time hours.

But, I did not even attempt it until I got confirmation from Spectronics, that they would send the files,if I couldn’t do it. That said, it is presumptuous of companies to expect all users to have equitable internet service capable of down loading large files easily.

Of course, the internet is only as quick as its slowest link. I have a 30 Mb connection, but it still took nearly 3 hours to download the upgrade of Omnisphere 2. Then they tell me I only have one download so I need to make sure I keep a copy in a separate backup. So I don’t like this habit of asking customers to download large files rather than supply discs. Good for the supplier, not good for the customer.

I do agree but companies like Spitfire (for example) offer a “Bespoke” Drive service at extra cost (All Devs should offer this in my opinion - yes even if the file size only warrants the size of a DVD). Their products only register when you have installed the Library, which means you have either downloaded the whole product or ordered it to arrive on a Hard Drive. This is great. Even if you download one of their products and for some reason haven’t backed it up, you can always re-download it because it’s registered to your account. What I agree with you with is not liking the “Certain Habit” of only having a certain number of Downloads of a Licence. I recently bought Slate SSD4 Platinum in a sale and it gives you two downloads for the licence. My Internet Browser wasn’t downloading anything for some reason, I tried twice, and still didn’t have a license. I spoke to the Vendor I bought it from, they got in touch with Slate, and they reset the Downloads. Then (after using a different browser), I finally could get my licence downloaded and get SSD4 working (but still have to look after the licence (this is where I really am glad of Dongles). But now we’re talking about something different to downloading “large” file sizes with slow connection speeds.

How large is Omnisphere 2 out of interest? It’s one of the next toys on my list I want to play with!

Im in the same boat, got CB pro 8 yesterday, but my dvd player doesnt read the dvd (I think the fault lies more with my player than the dvd), so I will have to download the 9.1GB file, my home internet should be able to handle it though.

I advise going to an internet cafe, or a university / school etc somewhere with a decent internet connection and downloading it onto a USB stick. I used to do this last century, wander into the university and download stuff, though then there was no USB sticks, it was diskette’s, 20+ needed just for a single program, ahh the good old days

I never said I would just use it for one download, but if I did, it would only be because of one download, as you suggested for my solution.

Breaking it up into a few Zips? You would still need all 9gbs of data so I don’t see any point in that.

The point would be that the computer wouldn’t have to be doing nothing but downloading for days. I would have to go use my parents mildly fast internet and then no one else could use it while I have my laptop sit in their house, downloading for days on end, hopefully not having some sort of failure. Smaller files mean you can download a portion when other people don’t need the internet, and if it fails, it’s a smaller failure instead of starting all over again.

If you aren’t prepared to get a faster Internet Connection and join the modern World then you could always keep it “Old School” and Walk to a physical building, for example, a Library or a friend’s House, that has a Fast Internet Connection. Cubase Pro 8 is so worth the Money that you wouldn’t regret it.

I simply couldn’t earn a living from Music if I didn’t have a quick Internet connection. Good luck.

You may live somewhere that offers “modern World” privileges at a decent price, but I don’t. I will try the library and the college, though.

Yeah, I tried that last week. Downloaded 2 gigs and then it crapped itself and I ended up with nothing, so I quit.

Yeah, I live outside of a small town in Alaska. I can’t even get cable. I could get Dish TV, but I’d pay an arm and a leg for that with internet. No thanks.

No internet cafe’s here in rural Alaska (or anywhere in Alaska?), but I’m going to check the library and the local college for fast internet.

the only other solution is to purchase a boxed version i guess…tho Free Download Manager works great, you can pause it at any time so others in house can use your net.
crapped out at 2gig? are you trying to download it on a 32bit system or a drive with FAT16? make sure the drive is at least formatted for NTFS.

No internet cafe’s here in rural Alaska (or anywhere in Alaska?), but I’m going to check the library and the local college for fast internet.[/quote]

Well I hope you get it sorted…

Well, I’m just wanting the trial for now. Really, I just want to see if it resolves my issues with not being able to get projects to load in 5.5 anymore. I’ve done everything I can think of and nothing works, so I’m wondering if I should just scrap 5.5 all together. But I don’t want to buy a new version and end up with the same issues.

64 bit system onto my hard drive with NTFS. I had paused and resumed it a few times, but for whatever reason, it died and I ended up with nothing.