How can I use the new instrument set?

Hello,

I own the full HSO library.
Now I see on the Cubase 6 page that there is an updated library which can be used within Halion Sonic SE

What does this actually mean?
What are the advantages of the instrument set within in Halion Sonic SE?
Is there a vst 3.5 implementation of HSO?
Is this set also in 24 bit available?

Do I need to buy Cubase 6 to get the updates library?

Thanks Tom

You’ll probably have to wait until one of us has actually got the product for some answers, but in the meantime have a look here.

Hello Tom,

Now I see on the Cubase 6 page that there is an updated library which can be used within Halion Sonic SE
What does this actually mean?

That the library ihave been updated for the new VST expression 2 functions, and that the content has been build new.

What are the advantages of the instrument set within in Halion Sonic SE?

You have now more/better possibilities to work with your sounds. Also the “engine” is better. The Halion 4 engine is working under the hood.

Is there a vst 3.5 implementation of HSO?

You mean from the “big” HSO version ? Not at the moment. How it will be in the future I cannot tell you at the moment.

Is this set also in 24 bit available?

No, this is the 16-bit version.

Do I need to buy Cubase 6 to get the updates library?

Yes.

Cheers,

Chris

May I use this new instrument set in Halion Sonic 1.5 full version (not SE! bundled with Cubase 6)?

May I use this new instrument set in Halion Sonic 1.5 full version (not SE! bundled with Cubase 6)?

Yes, you can load the HSO VST Sound Instrument Set into HALion Sonic. The same counts for C6 included HALion Sonic SE Factory library sounds. All future HS SE VST Sound Instrument Sets are HALion Sonic and HALion 4 compatible.

best
Helge

Thanks Chris!

I own both HSO and Sonic 1.5 but can’t seem to get the new HSO set inside Sonic. Do I need to install the Trial-Version first and the upgrade?

If you install the trial version of the HSO VST Sound Instrument Set (to get the updated content) and do nothing else, it will already be licensed because you already own, and have activated the HSO license.

I’m confused over this, I have C6 and HSO full licence, I have installed the new trial HSO but i cannot get the new instrument to appear inside C6 so how do I use the new engine? If I load new sounds into old HSO I’m using the old engine.

5am

Load “Synths/HALion Sonic SE” and you’ll find the new HSO sounds in there.

Hello Soundman,

Did you already played with the updated library?
Do you notice any improvements?

Too early to say apart from the significantly improved load times, and other practical things like the new GUI (HSSE). I’m having some difficulty locating instruments … HSO was too “busy” with the drop-down menus, but in HSSE all the sounds are mixed up with the stock sounds so I’ll have to find some way in MediaBay to tag them.

I have a HSO project that I’m trying to recreate as a new project using HSSE and the HSO Instrument Set, but it’s slow because I’m not sure I’ve got equivalent instrumentation as a result of the names being changed, therefore I can’t give a definitive answer as to whether there’s sonically any huge difference – but what I’ve got so far is very, very good!

[EDIT] OK one way … when loading a sound into HSSE, set a filter “Any attribute matches HALion Symphonic Orchestra” – that will return a list of 110 sounds, making it a bit easier.