How can you set up and use a Rode NT! 5th generation mic using the usb connection in Cubase 12

I can use it with the Rode Connect app but have so far failed to get Cubase to recognise a connection via USB. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi @Robin_Black, and welcome to the Cubase community.

Have a look at the free software, VB-AUDIO Voicemeeter. I’ve used this to record from a BLUE Raspberry USB Microphone into Cubase in the past.

There are YouTube tutorials on this, to get you going.

Hope this helps.

Well, such a USB Mic has a built in Audio interface, allowing a digital output to be fed into the PC.
I’d look in ‘Studio > Studio Setup, Audio system’ for the Mic Driver

There is the documentation on the Rode site, have you checked that

There is no specific walkthrough guide, but the process should be roughly the same as for Ableton Live, except of course you configure it in Cubase in the studio setup dialog

The NT1 has a dedicated ASIO driver for windows that you need to install first. In the driver control panel, you need to select you output device (e.g. your onboard headphone out) so that you can hear any output from the DAW.

Thanks. Just been reading through it and I didn’t realise it needed specific drivers. I’ll work my way through and hopefully see the light. Beginning to realise it might not be a great idea to use this mic on USB. More trouble than it’s worth but I’m probably getting too old and grumpy. Again thanks for assistance everyone.

If you already have an audio interface with a mic preamp, I would probably simply use the XLR out, seems easier to me.
I think the USB functionality with the included DSP FX is great for podcasters etc who just want a nice quick portable setup without the hassle of audio interfaces and full grown DAWs with effect plugins and auch.

I am now inclined to agree with you. I got given this by my son as a present as he thinks I should do podcasting. XLR is as you say easier and recording and writing music is much more enjoyable.

Just as a side note. This was suggested by another user. Use the headphone output, and connect it to your audio interface.